All that work sunk in a few hours.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
Back when I bought my first boat I lived in a RV Park on Copano Bay in Rockport, Texas. I bought a dead boat from a guy who lived there and got it fixed up in a hurry. Shortly after, I had it out nearly every day. One day, I got ready to go to sleep and instead of trailering it, I pulled up to the dock at the rv park and tied it up facing east into the mild wind. This was commom practice for many. The next morning I awoke to storms around 6am. I ran out my door and looked down the dock stairs and could not see my boat. I knew this waan't goin to end good. Halfway down the stairs I found my boat beached into the shoreline and full of water. The North wind overnight had been so strong that the dock had torn up my bumper, ruined the bumper rope insert, broke my anchor light, my fishing pole I had left up, tore my cleat halfway out of the fiberglass before the dockline was cut in half by barnacles from the pier posts. Once free, the boat of course turned around and headed for the shore. Water from the waves coming over the transom sunk it. I was unable to retrieve it until the wind stopped and the waves lowered. A few days later, with the help of a few winter- Texans, I was able to sump the water out and get towed back to the ramp. To add to the damage, the battery posts had corroded off the battery in those few days. I got it all fixed quickly, but it took a good month before the boat stopped leaning due to all the sand that was left in my bilge by the water. That's a Stupid Human Trick that I hope will never be repated.