2005 Johnson 150 2 stroke

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm going to be talking with a seller by phone today about his 2005 Johnson 150 2 stroke. At present that is all that I know about it - except that it reportedly has about 200 hours on it. What questions should I ask to determine exactly what engine it is and what condition its in? Anything and everything you think I need to know in order to begin to make an informed decision. Thanks

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: 2005 Johnson 150 2 stroke

Ask for the model/serial number so you can confirm age. I also ask for a maintenance history and the shop that performed it, I tell the seller that I will be talking to the shop before handing over and money, I walk away if that information is withheld (unless the price is a steal). Refusal to view it running is also usually a bad sign.

Then there is clear title issues, need to check if it is under finance etc etc.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with

Btuvi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good advice. Thanks.