electric problem 40hp 77 mariner

filip0601

Recruit
Hi,I am new to boating and that is why i have this problem.I have bought a boat with a 77 marine 2 stroke outboard 40 hp. motor that had a problem to start with.While the motor was running the starter would kick in due to the start switch sticking.So i decided to replace it,bought a key switch from local marina and started working.I identified the battery wires,the electric choke and the solenoid and tested each as i progressed.I could not figure it out the magneto and the ignition wires,i thought i had it but when i tried to start the motor it turned a few times and went dead.I found out that i blew up a 20A fuze on the wire leading to the solenoid,replace it changed the wrong wires to the correct position and tried to start it but still nothing.The new fuze is good but i i probably burned something else too.I have no ideea at this point so if someone thinks that can help me i would greatly appreciate.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: electric problem 40hp 77 mariner

There are a number of different starter switch wiring configurations depending on make and model.

If you didn't get the right switch for your motor, or wire it up exactly right, it is possible to injure expensive electronic components on the motor.

For most of us that can do this sort of work (hopefully without messing up) we use the electrical schematic for the motor, the electrical schematic for the switch, (or draw up our own schematic from inspection and testing) along with a electrical meter to verify contacts and wiring.

Then carefully proceed.

There are way too many variables to take chances.

Get the manual with schematic diagrams, get the diagram or make one for the switch, grab your meter, and go from there.

If you have ruined any electronic components on the motor that would have to be diagnosed on and individual level by the process' put forth in a service manual.

PS if they did not provide you with a switch that will fit your requirements, that would need to be addressed also.