77 Johnson Seahorse 4hp, Carb adjust ? And Pull cord.

Johneroc

Recruit
Hi.
First of all I'd like to say a big THANKS to any and all that offer free advice.
I need alot of it. I purchased a 77 Seahorse recently and I've been trying everything I know to get it to run(which isn't much). I cleaned the plugs and hit it with starter fluid and it would fire and run maybe a sec or two and then nothing. Well I kept yanking til I broke the Pull Cord,and I was about ready to give up,when another Gent said try cleaning the carb. So tonite for the heck of it I actually got the carb most of the Way off..just the 2 nuts that I could see and the Throttle Springy Thingy? I didn't want to take the Plastic clamp off that was connecting the Gasoline? Without getting some more advice.
But here's the kicker,after wiggling the Carb around abit,saying afew incantations,I decided to put it back together and give it a try anyhow.
Well it fired as before but still would stay running more that a sec at most.
Then I played with the Lower(there is an upper also)lean/rich control cranking it CounterClockwise about 120deg ...I pulled her again..and it fired the best it has yet..big and strong and I had to shut her down fast because I didn't have it in Water. (It's night time here so I'll try again when I wake up,I'm a musician,so I sleep til around noon)
Anyhow I guess my big question(s) is...Does this motor sound like it's may be
repairable ? And do I have a chance in H#ll of doing it myself ?
Thank you all very much.
Johnny
PS.
I've been doing the old "wrap around" the head with whats left of the old Pull Cord,and I saved the old spring/housing w/gear,incase it can be used.
If I need to buy a new assembly or whatever please let me know. Thanks.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 77 Johnson Seahorse 4hp, Carb adjust ? And Pull cord.

A couple of things to start with:
Don't try and start it without the lower end of the outboard submerged. The water pump impeller will burn up
Avoid starting fluid on 2 cycle engines. The 2 cycle engine needs the oil that is mixed in the gas for lubrication.
A good place to start is here:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Sounds as though there is every reason that this should run. The two carb adjustments are: top slow speed basic setting open by 1? turns, bottom high speed basic setting open 1 turn.

Referred to in the link already given but adjustment procedure is at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

There's a good chance that you will have to clean the carb though! see http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013 for some advice.

You should be able to bit a new cord to the starter. You have to wind the spring up almost fully and hold it while you thread the end of a new cord in and knot it with your other two hands. Then gently allow the spring to wind the cord in. Whatever you do don't unbolt things and let the spring escape. It's like a caged tiger waiting for some unwary sole to open the door and about as easy to coax back in!

Johneroc

Recruit

The "Tiger/Cat" is outta the bag :( yep..the SOB unwound on me and I busted 2 knuckles trying to wind it back up. Reminded me of why I became a Musician instead of a Mechanic. In the meantime I picked up another 5hp Johnson that the Pull cord snapped on the 1st couple of trys also..my typical luck. But this time the old wrap around got it going,and it Runs as longs as I'm playing with the Mixture other than that it's a SOB to get started also.
This 5hp is the old early 60's style built in gas tank. And a Funky combination Choke/Primer/Mixture control thingy,that did seem to help keeping the Motor running,but I couldn't figure out where was the best setting.
I'll probably have to hire a pro to work on these 2 outboards though,I'd love to learn how to do it myself,I just don't believe I can do it without losing a finger or two,and a lot of pride as well. I don't mind the pride,but I need the fingers to make a living with. Thanks again for the free advise!
Peace.
Johnny.

Johneroc

Recruit

This 5hp is the old early 60's style built in gas tank. And a Funky combination Choke/Primer/Mixture control thingy,that did seem to help keeping the Motor running,but I couldn't figure out where was the best setting.
I'll probably have to hire a pro to work on these 2 outboards though,I'd love to learn how to do it myself,I just don't believe I can do it without losing a finger or two,and a lot of pride as well. I don't mind the pride,but I need the fingers to make a living with. Thanks again for the free advise!
Peace.
Johnny.

I was wrong about the year of my 5hp...It's a 40's model
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Boat-Parts-Accessories-Gear__1948-JOHNSON-SEAHORSE-5HP-OUTBOARD-BOAT-MOTOR-SEA-HORSE_W0QQitemZ190245369311QQddnZPartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZBoatQ20PartsQ2cQ20AccessoriesQ20Q26Q20GearQQddiZ2811QQadiZ2823QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190245369311&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245 ____
Mine looks like this model also..I'll post a pic of it tomorrow. And if that's the case,I'll definitly want to get it Running properly. Anything from the 40's is an Antique isn't it?
Thanks.
Johnny.