NO spark on 1965 60HP Johnson

joshp

Cadet
I need help... I have a 1965 Johnson Seahorse 60HP Outboard Model VXL-110. I'm not getting spark to the plugs. I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to points. I cleaned the points real well with sand paper, they look pretty good. My concern is my wiring is a mess, is there a simple way to jump the kill switch so I know it is on? Any other suggestions on what I should do, this motor has been sitting for a few years, but seems to be in decent shape.

freddyray21

Commander
Re: NO spark on 1965 60HP Johnson

take the wiring harness loose from the motor and see if it has spark. That will take the kill switch out of it.

joshp

Cadet

Thanks, I took it off the motor cleaned the points and bench tested it. I GOT SPARK! Now I just have to get some fuel flowing and check the lower unit and I'm good to go. At least with the outboard, have a bit of fiberglass work to do on the old fiberform tri-haul.

This is a great website!

yep just get some gas n go!!?if that engine has been sittin for years as you say good luck with that stratagy.clean up the carbs,change the dead impeller thats the only thing keepin your engine from melting!probably make a pretty necklace charm out of the old one all curled over and dry rotted.NOT all im sayin is give some love to your engine now or it will hate you and make you pay!!!kinda like a woman.

joshp

Cadet

That was my plan. I seem to be having problems with the timing. Where do I line the mark to? Also any suggestion for cleaning out the carbs?