Fuel still enters Carb. when shuts off?

Duke of ....

Cadet
Have a 2.5 I/O Mercuriser..

When the engine stops on its own after running just for a shot period of time I can see fuel still going into the Carb.

Even if I turn the engine off, still see fuel going inside Carb. (stops on it's own after about 1 or 2 oz. of fuel)

Engine will not start again unless I wait about 20 or 30 minutes, then it starts and runs rough and when it stops,,,,,,,,,, same problem as above.

Don't have a service manuel and not sure which of the two screws on the Carb. is air mix and which is fuel mix.

Outter plate on Carb. is set to the lean side also if that's any help.

Thanks for any help,
Duke of ....

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel still enters Carb. when shuts off?

Needle and seat might be worn. I'll bet plastic float is saturated not stopping
the fuel. If you change the float see if you can get a brass one.
Beef

Duke of ....

Cadet

Thanks Beef, also want to get a Carb. rebuilding kit.

Can U also tell me now to drain the gas tank, want to get all fuel and make a fresh start.

Thanks,
Duke of ....

(my mistakes do not define me........... they teach me)

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

I have a skiff craft wood boat. When I had to pull my tanks to replace a plank I used a small electric fuel pump. Hook the suction side to the feed line going to the fuel pump.the other side to a gas can with rubber hose and clamps. Just be Careful ! No sparks.
Beef

Duke of ....

Cadet

Thanks, good advice. I don't think any adjustments and carb. settings are not going to mount to much with old fuel.

Going to tackle pumping out fuel tank and starting with new fuel. What I now have should be about 85% new fuel be some of the old is still in there.

Many thanks,
Duke of ....