deck staining advice neede

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like I will have to be staining my deck in the near future. The deck is cedar and the previous owner put a coat of redwood stain on it. Last year I put up pressure treated lattice around it and did not stain it yet. So I will be doing the whole thing at once. Is fall a good time to stain a deck or does it not matter what time of year I know not to hot or not too cold.. Would fall or spring be better? What steps should I take to prepare the deck for staining. I know they sell all kind of products for pre treatment. Are these really neccessary? I do have access to a spayer if needed. Any tips would be appreciated.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: deck staining advice neede

You really should powerwash the whole thing first to remove the old stain and wait two weeks after before re-staining. I pretreat with bleach (cover plants) before washing and it looks new again. I swear by Flood products and apply them with a pump up fertilizer sprayer until no more will soak in. I actually prefer the hand sprayer over any power sprayer, roller or brush. I like spring and fall due to decent temperatures and low humidity, but if you choose to do it now, you will be fine.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: deck staining advice needed

Re: deck staining advice needed

1st pressure wash whole deck with bleach,M1 house wash(pressure washer will mix water with chemicals) 2nd spend xtra time to remove old stain(2400psi or better)should have no problem. 3rd wait at least 2 days(during the summer) to reapply stain.Depending on the size of the deck you can spray or brush, I don't like the way decks roll out and I like the CWF line of products my 2nd choice is the Sherwin Williams deck stains. As far as when,now is a good time you just have to watch out for extreme cold and wettness good luck. Jim

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: deck staining advice neede

Like everyone else has said -

Power wash with a good power washer and let the deck dry out really well for a few days.

I think it's easier to just use a brush to apply the stain. A roller is ok, but a brush is neater though. My neighbor used a pump sprayer last year and it clogged up near the end of the job and he threw it out.

After you power wash, and the deck drys, you may want to sand the railings or any rough spots just to make it that much nicer.

Good luck - it's going to be lots of fun! :)