1983 Mercury 7.5 HP Flywheel

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Put the above motor back together out of the 2 boxes it came in and the flywheel is missing !!!! Rebuilt almost everything and now can not finish the job,
Anyone know where I can get one ????? I have searched around locally with no success.
I was hoping to try it out Labor Day weekend.
Thank You for any and all suggestions.
Ken.

8075mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1983 Mercury 7.5 HP Flywheel

Any flywheel for a 7.5hp or 9.8hp from 74 to 86 +/-will work. Just check to make sure the magnets are not loose or cracked.

I would check ebay or ask your local boat dealer where a Mercury repair shop is that works on old stuff and has the "mountain of parts" in back of the shop that somebody might need one day.

Good luck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Any flywheel for a 7.5hp or 9.8hp from 74 to 86 +/-will work. Just check to make sure the magnets are not loose or cracked.

I would check ebay or ask your local boat dealer where a Mercury repair shop is that works on old stuff and has the "mountain of parts" in back of the shop that somebody might need one day.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I have tried the local repair shops with the "parts mountains" with noluck so far.
I will keep looking and keep everyone posted how I am making out.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Found one on e-bay. Seller says 1970 mercury 7.5hp Serial #2869437
He says he thinks it should fit.
My motor is a 1983 serial #7206318
Any mercury experts out there that can help ??? I am anything but a mercury expert. Always had johnson / Evinrude
Thanks for any and all input.
Ken.

8075mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It might bolt on, but a 1970 and 1971 had the aluminum donut stator with points and a different flywheel.
72 and 73 had the red ignition module stator with points and a different flywheel
and starting in 74, you had the ignition without points and yet another flywheel. These had the two yellow&white wires stator coils.
I think a flywheel from 74 and up until they quit making them in 86 or so should work. Another way to tell this is I think you want a flywheel from a 7.5 or 9.8 with a fiberglass cover.

Good luck.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It might bolt on, but a 1970 and 1971 had the aluminum donut stator with points and a different flywheel.
72 and 73 had the red ignition module stator with points and a different flywheel
and starting in 74, you had the ignition without points and yet another flywheel. These had the two yellow&white wires stator coils.
I think a flywheel from 74 and up until they quit making them in 86 or so should work. Another way to tell this is I think you want a flywheel from a 7.5 or 9.8 with a fiberglass cover.

Good luck.

Once again thank you for the input. I guess my search continues then but I have a much clearer idea to what i need.
Thanks and i will keep you posted.
Ken.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just got home and read your link. I missed it !!!! Thanks for the info anyway. I was searching under Mercury and it did not come up. I would have bought it if I had seen it. Oh well the search continues !!!!
Thanks again,
Ken.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the info. I am going to check into this. Will let you know.
Ken.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Well, I have just sent them an e-mail with my request. I will let you all know how I make out.
By the way, I just found one from a 1982 on e-bay. I have asked them if they ship to Canada and cost for shipping.
You never know I may end up with a spare one !!!!! LOL
Thanks to all for the input.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Try this place for used flywheel, They were great to deal with and had flywheel for my boat in stock. http://marinepartsoutlet.com/ good luck.

Tried that place. They have what I need for $100 plus shipping. Just got one last night on e-bay for $15 plus $15 shipping.
Looking forward to it's arrival so I can finally test the motor out !!!

Thanks to all for the assistance. I will let you know how and if the motor runs when I get the flywheel installed.
Ken.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Tyhanks, I will let you know how I make out. It should be here in about 1 week.