This is dumb question but has to be asked... Can you take a jet ski to the ocean???

I have a 2001 Kawasaki 1100stx. Just a regular, red, three person jet ski. I'm still in college, I go to the ocean for spring break and I don't want to pay to rent a jet ski. Could i take mine to the ocean? Just once? If not... Is there a way to modify it for a salt water voyage? If it can be put in the ocean, will that affect its life an performance? Or in the end would I be better of renting one and putting salt water hours on another person's jet ski? Just curious.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: This is dumb question but has to be asked... Can you take a jet ski to the ocean

Of course it's OK to run your machine in the ocean. Saltwater will propel it just as well as fresh, but you need to be aware that saltwater will accelerate corrosion. It is important to hose down the machine every day and, if possible, run freshwater thru the engine to eliminate internal corrosion before it starts.
Also, when you get home take it for a good long run in your local lake or river. That'll get any residual saltwater nastyness out.
Have fun but be safe!

Re: This is dumb question but has to be asked... Can you take a jet ski to the ocean

Awesome... Thank you.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

duuuuu yea,, fresh water is for sissies,lol
All I run is salt water, your ski is actually more buoyant in salt water, and it kills all the fresh water critters that grow in the cooling system.
nothing better than jumping huge waves.
spray down the engine with silicon spray, rinse the cooling system after you run, wash your trailer really good after putting it in salt water. and use spray furniture polish on the hull to keep the salt spots from making it look dirty.
rinse off your life jackets and you will be just fine.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rinsing and flushing is the key. if not you will have a spotty sticky ride.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

"...... Can you take a jet ski to the ocean"

Only if the ocean won't come to the jet-ski... :D:D:D:D