Hurricane Preparation ??

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, looks like Tropical Storm Fay may be heading for the Florida gulf coast (and may possibly arrive as a hurricane) and that means I have to start thinking about doing something with my boat. Luckily, it's only a 12 foot aluminum boat so I can stick it in my garage and leave the trailer in the yard.
But, for those owners without that possibility, how do you prep for a hurricane? I was thinking of sticking the plug in the boat and filling it with water, as I could use the room in my garage for other things besides my boat, but was afraid I'd collapse the trailer, or that the wind would blow the water out of the boat and blow it off the trailer.

So, what say you all? How do you prepare a trailer boat?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hurricane Preparation ??

turn you boat upside down on the trailer, go to home depot, and buy 4 mobile home tie downs, put the in the ground they just screw in. tie your boat down.

Attachments

• hurricane anchor.jpg
    hurricane anchor.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I live in the New Orleans area ... we take ours with us so we can get back to the house after the storm! :D

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I had the same concerns. I just got my boat 2 weeks ago, and would hate to lose it! It's a 16' Bayliner Capri, and I keep it at a Hi 'n Dry marina south of Clearwater. The boat rack I'm in is a west (Gulf) facing rack, and I'm on the 2nd level. Everyone I've spoken to says to just take out the plug, and secure or remove loose items. Boats are fairly aerodynamic, and the wind will just go around them. I asked if hurricanes are a problem for boats on trailers, and was told no as well. Of course, an aluminum boat is much lighter, so if I were you, I'd be going to Home Depot and getting those tie-downs. With luck, it'll be a minor storm. Stay safe!

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Too bad there is so much flotation foam under my seats or I'd just sink the boat in my pool ! :D

And you think I'm kidding...

Seriously, looking at storm rotation, the south and west sides of my house are gonna get pounded on. I'm still undecided between parking the boat on the trailer on the east side of my house and filling it with water, possibly damaging my trailer, or just lift if off the trailer and put it in an already crowded garage.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think I'd fill it with water. Stuff it in the garage, or tie it down. Tie downs are certainly cheaper then a new trailer. Um, can it fit inside your house, maybe your Florida room? If it can, it'll only be for one day/night. And could make for some interesting fun! :p

Last edited:

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't fill it with water on the trailer. The weight will cause bending problems with the boat and the trailer.
Turning it upside down and anchoring it sounds like excellent advice.

Randal106

Seaman

Its allready tied to the trailer right? pull the trailer up close to something sturdy (AKA..BIG tree, Light pole, exposed rebar loops on side of garage encased into the foundation
icon10.gif
) and tie it off to that

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

For what it is worth ...

... my brother lived for years on a half island in the Gulf, and went through this every year, most of the time it missed him, but not always.

He had no garage, just a workshop, and a historic car (which was towed behind the truck) that was worth much more than the boat, so the little boat always got left behind to fend for itself.

He would fill his boat with water, and tie it down with the house trailer anchors T-Daddy has pictured above. He faced it into the wind, and way away from the trees in his yard.

While the neighbors stuff always flew around the neighborhood, his boat was always just as he left it when he returned home.

It was a small Boston Whaler, the neighbors for the most part had much bigger & heavier center console fishing boats. Despite their extra weight (without the water he added), they caught more wind, and seemed to fly through the yards like a paper cup on the highway.

Firestar

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 14 ft. aluminum boat I gave to a shop to have make me a cover.
They left it outside, uncovered, with the trailer tongue laying on the ground. We had a lot of rain and the boat sat out in it. I ended up with the trailer being bent, The beam that the tongue is on and travels down the center bent and a lot of hook in my hull from the weight of the water that collected in the bow. A fiberglass boat may handle the weight better.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I had a 14 ft. aluminum boat I gave to a shop to have make me a cover.
They left it outside, uncovered, with the trailer tongue laying on the ground. We had a lot of rain and the boat sat out in it. I ended up with the trailer being bent, The beam that the tongue is on and travels down the center bent and a lot of hook in my hull from the weight of the water that collected in the bow. A fiberglass boat may handle the weight better.

He placed concrete blocks with wood planks under the trailer before he tied it down, which I suppose spread the strain of the extra weight on the trailer equally around the frame, rather than just on the tongue as you experienced.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its allready tied to the trailer right? pull the trailer up close to something sturdy (AKA..BIG tree, Light pole, exposed rebar loops on side of garage encased into the foundation
icon10.gif
) and tie it off to that

That is what I did when Hurrican Dolly passed through a few weeks ago. I pulled it close to some trees that line my driveway and tied it to them. I also blocked all the tire, front and back.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

That is what I did when Hurrican Dolly passed through a few weeks ago. I pulled it close to some trees that line my driveway and tied it to them. I also blocked all the tire, front and back.

Even in small wind storms the trees are the first thing to go. Just watch the news next time one hits and what do you see, trees and big tree limbs laying everywhere.

The boat may still be there when you get back, but it may have a large part of the tree you chained it to occupying the place generally reserved for you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i put mine between the houses. away from trees, and power lines.

bchboater

Cadet

Hurricane Isabel hit us in '03. My boat was on the lift behind the house. All piers on our inland bay were wiped out, but the piles left in place. My boat was still there, sitting on the lift as high as it would go. Ironically, the boat was the only insurable thing, piers are not insured.

I saw boats that were tied down have the tie downs ripped up and they filet'ed (?sp) the boat and cover. Others were OK. Depends on how secure the tie down is. If I had a trailer, I would have put the boat next to the house and tied it down like people mentioned.

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the trailer is in the yard, the boat is in the garage. I've got all my hurricane panels over the windows...and now it looks like it's gonna come by as only a tropical storm. Darn, all that preparation for nothing.
Oh well...if it blows by early, maybe I can still get some fishing in.

martian_mel

Recruit

Well I've just got back from Santa Ponza in Mallorca and we sheltered in a bay (only a force 4) and got the anchor tangled in a mesh of old chain - the work it took to get out, I reckon that would keep the boat pinned down whatever the weather!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, what say you all? How do you prepare a trailer boat?

We evacuated for Charlie 4 years ago. Now if I decide to evacuate, I will hook up the boat, throw some clothes, water, and food in the truck and load the things most important in my life, my wife & the dogs. Then we will head for higher ground.