Yamaha Vmax 2 stroke 250 3.5L Oil Warning Problems

CheifTKE

Recruit
The other night while attempting to run back to the launch ramp, a loud buzzer came on while a continuous red light came on that is apparently the oil low warning light. When it started buzzing, the engine dropped to where it would only run about 5-7mph and the Pressure was constant at the 10 on the dial. It continued running, just not at high speed. When I finally got the boat home, I looked in the oil tank in the hull and it was bone dry. I was told that after adding oil, the float would begin to float again and the alarm would go off? I added the oil, and turned the key over to power....but not to turn the engine over. The alarm and red light are still there even though I've filled the reserve tank. I've read about toggle switches, but I can't find any, do I have to remove the tank bracket? Anyway, do I need to put the boat back in the water to run the engine. Does it need to run to recognize the oil? I'm truly confused and don't know how to get rid of the annoying buzzer now that I have oil in the tank. Any help is appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha Vmax 2 stroke 250 3.5L Oil Warning Problems

by continuing to run with the low oil alarm on its very possible you have smoked the motor.
thats why the alarm is there.
that pressure guage is for water pressure and has nothing to do with oil.
I would also reccomend having the hull rigged with the correct yamaha guage package and ditch the lights.
the Vmax 225 was made in 3.1L EFI and 3.3L HPDI, we kinda gotta know which you have so please post the full model number.
first make sure the remote oil tank is at least 1/2 full.
then look at the port side aft upper part of the motor for EFI or the fwd upper side of the engine oil tank,HPDI and look for a greay rubber booted toggle switch.
with key on engine off raise the switch and listen for oil transfer.
if you have removed the screen in the engine tank STOP NOW.
if the screen was removed ,drain the tank vial the water trap,remove the screen again,retrieve and replace the seal on the screen nipple with a new seal, then properly orientate the screen on the float and reinstall the assy.
with the correct rigging you would have had a visual that the remote tank was to low for automatic transfer but still enough for 2 manul transfers.
your owners/operators manual has a complete description of manual transfer.
the remote tank has no alarm functions, the engine tank controls the alarm function and when it sounds there is about 15 min of oil left before bad things can happen.
my reccomendation is to pay attention to that annoying alarm and correct the alarm condition as that is the engine trying to protect itself from the operator.