Hail Storm

SoulWinner

Commander
Holy freaking cow!!! We just had one heck of a hail storm roll through. My brother called and said it hit them and was coming this way. I got my Tacoma in the garage literaly seconds before it hit. Some of it was baseball size. People driving down my street were freaking out. The Land Cruiser has some dings, but the sheet metal is so thick the damage isn't too bad. It would have totalled my Tacoma! Dang, this is the weirdest thing I have ever seen......<br /><br />Oh yeah, and it destroyed my boat cover.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hail Storm

Yea SW, I have been watching that storm down there.<br /><br /><br />Urgent - Immediate Broadcast Requested Severe Thunderstorm Watch Number 86 Nws Storm Prediction Center Norman Ok 1040 AM EST Sat Mar 26 2005 <br /><br />The Nws Storm Prediction Center Has Issued A Severe Thunderstorm Watch For Portions Of <br /><br />Southern Alabama Northern Florida Southern Georgia Coastal Waters <br /><br />Effective This Saturday Morning And Afternoon From 1040 AM Until 500 PM EST. <br /><br />Hail To 2.5 Inches In Diameter... Thunderstorm Wind Gusts To 70 Mph... And Dangerous Lightning Are Possible In These Areas. <br /><br />The Severe Thunderstorm Watch Area Is Approximately Along And 75 Statute Miles North And South Of A Line From 15 Miles North Northwest Of Mobile Alabama To 30 Miles East Of Jacksonville Florida. For A Complete Depiction Of The Watch See The Associated Watch Outline Update (wous64 Kwns Wou6). <br /><br />Remember... A Severe Thunderstorm Watch Means Conditions Are Favorable For Severe Thunderstorms In And Close To The Watch Area. Persons In These Areas Should Be On The Lookout For Threatening Weather Conditions And Listen For Later Statements And Possible Warnings. Severe Thunderstorms Can And Occasionally Do Produce Tornadoes.

SoulWinner

Commander

Lester, I have never seen anything like this. I'm still freaked out.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hear ya SW, I ran into a storm like that once out west and man I thought that was it.<br /><br />Beat my tractor trailer to death, but it made it through it alright.<br /><br />Just be careful down there, it don't look good for the next few hours.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

What does that do to composition roofs?

Trent

Captain

Missed me by about three miles Soul Winner... It was a monster of a storm!

Homerr

Commander

WOW!!!<br />Glad you had a little warning.<br /><br />We had something like that years ago...<br />We had a heck of a car sale afterwords too!<br /><br />Hail-damaged cars everywhere. It wasn't cost effective for the lots to fix them all, so they sold them as damaged.<br /><br />Might be a good time to look for a slightly-cosmetic damaged car or boat?<br /><br /><br />H.

SoulWinner

Commander

I don't know when I'll be able to get up the roof and check it out. I sounded like nothing I ever heard before. Imagine thousands of golf balls and baseballs hitting your roof! I reckon there's goona be some cars sales inthe few weeks too! My dad got caught in it on his way to Winn Dixie. I haven't spoken to him yet, but I imagine his little truck is mess. <br /><br />This kind of thing NEVER happens here. I can only say that it was like somerthing biblical, like frogs falling out of the sky. I feel real bad for any live stock that got hit with this. Probably a lot of injured cows and horses.

Stratosfied

Ensign

SoulWinner, it just passed thru here in Brewton. The hail was real small and was the first time that I have seen hail here in 22 yrs. This was the first my daughter has seen. Hope you all are fine.

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> What does that do to composition roofs?
Boomyal, what's a composition roof? I know next to nothing about homes, so are you talking about normal shingles? Or are you talking about the roofs they put on big RVs or mobile homes?<br /><br />I know for a fact, on the big RVs with a "rubberized roof" the hail does nothing to hurt it. I suppose if it was huge hail it could actually break through, though. The skylight on the other hand, they tend to break (they're plastic)<br />If you are talking shingles on a house, hail actually dimples them, the same as it does sheetmetal on a car. It also knocks many of the granuals loose at one time. If the hail is large enough, it can actually break the plywood sheeting underneath.<br /><br />Oh, and by the way, hail hurts when you are running through it! :(

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Tilliam, you described the common 3 tab composition shingle.<br /><br />Ouch, imagine getting hit upside the head with a hardball size hunk of ice.