I am looking at a 19' 1948 Century Restorer this weekend

The boat needs a total restoration, but is very interesting

Seems that most of the hard to find pieces are there

I am looking at at least a 3 to 4 year project with this

Any word of advice?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Any wooden boat experts here?

Take a look at www.mbbw.com. They are a company here in Michigan that specializes in restoring wood boats. The put most of their projects on the website with good pictures along the way. It will either be an inspiration to you or it will scare you.

Stoutcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi BipShoft,

I've only built 4 boats, so that makes me more of a wood boat butcher than a wood boat builder, but here goes...

44'... That's a project all right...

* Carefully plan out your budget and then double it... Wood boats are no different than plastic or metal...
* Try to set up the restoration as a series of projects...
* Never get discouraged! Without a doubt, that's the #1 wooden boat project killer... H.H. Payson (builder of over 600 boats and writer) advocates the famous "Moaning Chair"... Just when you think you've made the dumbest mistake of all time, put down your tools, step away from the craft, plunk yourself down in a chair and moan! Don't even think about going back to the boat until sanity has returned. When all is said and done, the mistake isn't nearly as bad as it seemed initially. (Quick story... A gifted builder on one of the kayak forums was rushing to scarf the sides of his yak together and somehow managed to mix up the panels such that the bow was pointed up and the stern was pointing down... Yup, he let that epoxy set up nice and solid before he caught that mistake... He just laughed, cut through the epoxy in the scarfs and reassembled... A few hours lost. You know you're good when mistakes like that will only make you laugh.) For me, anything that doesn't land you in an emergency room with a bloody towel wrapped around your hand isn't a mistake - it's a learning experience.
* Don't let a project get in the way of family life. You might be surprised as to the number of divorces that boil out of boat projects like the one you're looking at.
* Learn the ways of epoxy!!! Do your research and practice, practice, practice before you use it on your boat. Applying epoxy is like welding... As much art as anything else.
* Do NOT be afraid to post on this site and others! (I'm a moderator on the Instant Boats site as well as the Instant Boats Yahoo Group...) There is a special fraternity amongst wood boat people. You're always welcome on our site, even if you're not building one of our boats. (Our longest thread by far was a Michalak design.)
* Read, read, and read some more. Excellent wood boat authors include: Chapelle ("Boat-Building"), Tolman ("A Skiff for All Seasons"), Payson ("Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite Payson"), Trefethen ("Wooden Boat Renovation"), Steward ("Boatbuilding Manual"), and Buehler ("Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding")... You can buy these books used, cheap from www.abebooks.com. (Hint... Buy the original from Payson and pick his brain in the process.)
* Most of the books above will tell you what tools you'll need.
* Make models of each of the projects before you get started... Sounds crazy, saves time and $$$.
* Photos are always helpful...

Keep us all posted and good luck...

Alan

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well,

Looks like I am taking the plunge

Gave a deposit to hold the boat while I find a trailer and clear the garage for this

Also having relatives visiting is slowing this down

Looks like a very in depth restoration is in my future

will post pictures once I get the beast home

oops!

Supreme Mariner

go for it.....ive done a few woodies....a 43 and a 38.....(not full restos)

one thing ive learned on my project is post here and post often.....the mental ups and downs of a resto are very real....and allmost make you want to walk away.....you will find encouragement here

cheers
oops

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the encouragement oops

really looking forward to the challenge

will be posting pics as I go

here are a few of the boat as it sits

Attachments

• RESORTER1.JPG
    RESORTER1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • RESORTER2.JPG
    RESORTER2.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 0

240sx4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see alot of potential there........... (your first vote of confidence)

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks 240sx4u

I see it as quite the challenge

really looking forward to it

maxum247

Lieutenant

bipshoft, I would recomend picking up a copy of "How to restore your wooden runabout.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

maxum247

Already have multiple books on order from Amazon

I will be doing a ton of reading on this project

maxum247

Lieutenant

That's great, How to restore your wooden runabout, has some good info on the type of boat your restoring. Btw it comes in volumes one and two. One being the boat rebuild and volume two sanding, varnishing, and so on.

redfury

Commander

Well, she's not a floater, but it's a nice looking boat. Good luck! :cool:

maxum247

Lieutenant

bipshoft! How are things coming along with the 19'? If you get the chance more pictures would be great!

max!

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

what are your plans for it? keeping the outside vintage with a modern powerplant? outboard or inboard?

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry for the delay

I am currently working out pick up times with the previous owner
The boat is on stands in his garage and I have been trying to locate a suitable trailer to get it home
Think I found one in southern Mass, heading down to pick it up tomorrow morning
The previous owner has been great about this, and will be out of town next weekend..We are working on setting a date that I can bring this beast home
I have cleared the garage and am getting all my wood working equipment staged for this project
As for power plant, generally I am a traditionalist in that I love all things original, but have been leaning towards a small block chevy for this boat as I do not plan on selling and would be using it for my personal use
I plan on trying to keep as much of the original wood in the boat as well as ordering a interior kit from AA marine in Texas
I guess I need to fire up a web site to host the picts as I go

Been searching for 48 resorter picts online and no luck
closest I can find to what the boat looks like is this link
http://www.tradingdock.org/1046

thanks for all the encouragement

-bips

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

A small word to you - if you start one project see it through to its completion.
Don't jump from one thing to another. Start it, finish it - go to the next. It can become very overwhelming to do otherwise. ;)

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congratulations on your purchase and all the best with your project.

From the photos you supplied, I noticed there is blocking at the bow perpendicular to the keel or at 90 degrees to the stem. This is totallly wrong and can quickly and easily destroy a wooden keel. I've found this through experience. When you get her home, I would advise something like a 16/4 by 6 inch wide plank by 20 feet be blocked up off the garage floor to support the entire length of the keel.

All the best with your new project.

Enjoy

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice Seven Up

Actually when she gets home she is going bottom up in the garage