1990 Sailfish-enough power?

fighterpilot

Recruit
Looking at a 1990 Sailfish with twin 130 yamahas. Most Sailfishes have 200 hp engine. Will this boat cruise 25 knots with twin 130s? Also note that a lot of sailfishs have transom rot and corrosion on the fuel tanks, Is this common?

Am looking at1990s 25 footers in Hydrasport, ProLine, Pursuit, Trophy 2502, and Wellcraft Coastal 2600. Am I going to find this transon and fuel tank problem is common in 1990 era boats or are some less prone to have this conditon. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Sailfish-enough power?

You're looking at a boat that has been used in saltwater for almost 20 years so expect problems with these boats.

The tanks get corrosion on the tops. It's a fact of life with aluminum used in a salt water application. The bigger problem is the corrosion on the bottom of the tank that you don't see. The tank manufacturers give the tanks a 12- 15 year life expectancy to expect to replace the tank in the coming years.

You hear of some boats having more transom problems than others, mostly on shear volume alone, but no boat is immune. Rotten transoms typically are not construction problems, they?re maintenance issues.

In that era of boat I?d quickly narrower the list down to either the Proline or the Pursuit but keep looking. Lots of good boats from that era that are not on your list.

fighterpilot

Recruit
Re: 1990 Sailfish-enough power?

Appreciate the reply. Just got back from two week boat hunt and only got part of the search completed. Felt I had to get back here for Gustav. Upon looking at the above mentioned boats and planning on a fuel tank replacement there are only two that seem to lend themselves to that task without major structural problems. The Grady and the Coastal seen to have ways to replace the tank without cutting into the deck. Wife decided she wanted full transom so that eliminated a few of the models, and I like to see easy access to pumps, hoses, tanks, etc., so that narrrowed the search a little more. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.