Steering torque issue

rqbayliner

Cadet
I have a 92 Bayliner 1800 Capri with a 92 Force 120, factory package deal. Steering torque is very severe and the boat always wants to turn to starboard. The hull is in great shape without any damage. I already tried adjusting the exhaust snout all the way to the right (while viewing from the rear of the engine) and that didn't make any difference. Trimming the engine out does help a bit after planning out. Looking for any suggestions since my arms are getting tired.

Already did alot of research and came up with a few things:

1) NFB steering.
2) Automatic trim tabs.
3) String Ray Hydrofoil with torque tabs. I had this on my Fabuglas, 15 foot tri-hull with a Merc 60 and this worked great. But, since this is a larger boat with 2X the engine, I don't know.

Thanks all

crazyinkc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Steering torque issue

Unless I am picturing this wrong in my head, you need to move the snout to the left. Try the free stuff first. I do because I am cheap

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Nope! He's right. The front of the snout goes to the left (port) and the rear goes to the right. (starboard). This tends to move the rear of the engine to port, so prop thrust goes to port, and hopefully cancels the starboard torque reaction.

Bayliner: You do realize that both the front and rear of the exhaust snout are adjustable, don't you?

But ultimately, some boats just want to turn and you may end up buying NFB helm.

rqbayliner

Cadet

Thanks for the response, I need to look at the adjustment a little closer. Do you think hydraulic steering will be worth the price on this boat/engine setup?