Stupid worn-out points dist

hemidoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am posting a solution to a problem for a change
I bought a project boat
Well after rebuiding most of the boat I found the 305 GM OMC wouldn't go beyond 1500rpm(on land no load). Tried new points, condensor, and coil same deal. Get to 1500 then misfire like nuts and tach would go crazy.
Turns out the dist was worn-out. Installed a new Mallory points to electronic kit and it runs great. The points cam was worn out.
One thing about this kit was I had to grind down the plate with the Dremmel to make it fit.

Fagettaboutpoints and go electronic

Related post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=270512

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stupid worn-out points dist

Distributors don't have the capability of being stupid, only people do.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well after rebuiding most of the boat I found the 305 GM OMC wouldn't go beyond 1500rpm(on land no load).

Sounds like someone forgot to put the C shaped spring on the new points.

PINESOL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

funny don .... ive done that ... same symptom.. :D

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Funny, how come points were used in "racing motors" and always went over 9000 rpm.I ran a dual point in a 327- 375hp .Always managed to blow someting up from the rpm`s usually the 2 speed Powerglide. Boat motors are no different.If you undersdtood HOW a point system works you`d BE ABLE to set it up properly.
Another thing, rpm`s on land in a no-load condition mean nothing, no to mention burning up your impeller

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another thing, rpm`s on land in a no-load condition mean nothing,

In most cases it makes no difference, an engine with half the spark plug wires off will still get 6 or 8000 no load rpm with no problem. But without that spring on the points, they just float along.
The copper strip on the points is only for electrical purposes, the extra spring in the kit closes them at higher rpm.

hemidoc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It was all assembled correctly Just worn. I've been a pro mech for 21+ years and built hot rods and stuff since before I had a DL. This dist was just worn. Believe me the spring was intalled, The cam was worn down.
Just trying to let folks know if they have a similar issue where to look. Let's see 300+ for a dist or 90 for a kit?