fuel fitting issues

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer
I just purchased a 1972 Johnson 50 hp motor. The guy ran it for me with no issues, but I set everything up last night and the LAST thing was to hook up the fuel fitting. I put an Attwood fuel fitting on it. The fitting is only a couple of months old, but when I hooked it up and squeezed the bulb, fuel came out from between the Attwood fitting and the one on the boat.

I'm ASSUMING that his fitting is fine since it was fine the night before, and mine is probably good since it's pretty new. Is this a problem with the fact that my gas tank is not a vented tank, possibly? I have a 13 gallon aluminum tank that was built and installed for my mercury motor. There's a vent on the tank. Any help, as it always has been, is greatly appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel fitting issues

it's an attwood fitting, not a Johnson fitting. several aftermarket companies make them, so the fit Johnson/evinrude and suzuki. suzuki is just a little bigger in diameter, so they leak on J/E's. get the right fitting.

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, TD. Good to see you still here, though I haven't been on here in a little over a year. I'll swing into the store today and pick up the proper fitting, and post tomorrow with regards to how it works out. I appreciate the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice to have you back, even if you are having trouble.