2002 Bayliner 1950 CL - Should I buy???

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
Its a 2002 Bayliner 1950 Classic bow rider with the 3.0L Mercruiser and galvanized trailer, bimimi top, boat cover, DF, skis and wakeboard. It only has 29 hours on the meter, all freshwater. It was winterized and stored 2 or 3 years ago and hasn't been started since. Pictures of it look great. I can't go and try it out because it's up in the mountains of West Virginia, and I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. If I buy it for $8000, he'll bring it on down to me. (He will first get it un-winterized and lubed/tuned up by the dealer)

My concerns:
I've read all about the '80s/'90s deck rotting reps of the Bayliners. The 2002 Bayliners used the XL plywood for the deck. Did this (or something else) solve the problem?

It was winterized by the dealer, but it's been sitting (covered) for maybe 3 years. Any problems with seals or condensation or anything else I don't know about?

Does $8000 seem OK in this boat buyer's market?

I am really flipping a coin on this, so any advice would help.
Thanks,
Jim

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 Bayliner 1950 CL - Should I buy???

... dunno jim, you sound like your thinking of buying this boat sight-un-seen or personally checked out and tested by someone like a surveyor. even if everything checked out to perfection, 8 grand is too much for an 02' IMO.

wish you well

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with AZ. In this market, keep looking. IMO, not because of any issues you've stated, but that simply a 3.0 in a 19.5' boat is going to be a dog...bigtime. You need at least a 4.3 to enjoy that boat.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Contact a marine surveyor in the boats location...................have it surveyed and go from there...............it will be money well spent.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you want to go water sports, the 3.0 in that size boat is a slug, wait for minumum 4.3L. $8,000 too much.

jdlough

Thanks all,

Yeah, I'm thinking $8,000 is a bit much in today's market, but he's a friend of the family and seems to think he's giving me the family-friend discount, due to its 'perfect' condition. It's not on the market yet, he may be suprised.

My retired-Coast Guard brother-in-law offered to stop in West Virginia on his travels and have a look at it for me. He's not up on current boat prices, but I'm positive he knows what a good boat looks like. I don't want to send him on a wild boat chase if I'm likely to pass on the boat anyway.

Is the 3.0L really a slug? They say they've had no problems waterskiing. This would be my first real boat (meaning one with a steering wheel). I have 2 boys (12 and 14), and I want something safe they can learn on and have fun with, so I'm not looking for a speed demon, just something good for tubing.

A slight concern is that I'd think I'd rather have an outboard boat. It may just be my own prejudice for outboards, but I have very tiny concern that my boys might forget to use the blower and blow themselves up someday. (They're not stupid, but it only takes one mistake)

My final and maybe biggest conundrum is that my wife only wants to spend $5,000 for a boat, but she's fine with spending $8,000 for this one because it's from a trusted friend. If I pass on this one, I think my boat allowance will drop back to $5,000 again.

Decisions, decisions....

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

The 3.0L in a 195 for watersports is definitely gonna be a slug for sure.

By comparison, I'm in Canada, and I had an opportunity on a 2005 195 with a 3.0L (didn't consider for that exact reason of undersized motor) and it was going for $11K Canadian so your $8K seems high.

With $8K you should get a great boat, and even with $5K I suspect you'd find a beautiful boat (with outboard as you mentioned) One of the guy down at the docks just bought a 17 1/2 ft bowrider with 115 HP Merc (1992) in very good - excellent shape, and he paid $4500. That bought was a steal so shopping around a bit may surprise you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the boys 12 14 like the water they will become very bored with the 3.0L. they will out grow it very fast.

cmcpherson

Banned

Take a pass, much better deals out there right now and should be easy to find. Plus, if you are looking for negative comments on Bayliners, this is not the place to find them, this place is in their pocket.

jdlough

I think I'm pretty much talked out of this boat, unless he wants to knock a couple of thousand off the price. Even then, maybe not - because of the 3.0L.

Thanks to all for keeping me sane. It's hard to be patient for the right boat/deal when the boat buying itch is itching.

Jim

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

I have had two 3.0s and loved them. You can prop down for any motor, I just don't think you will want to loose that much top end.

FusionFrank

Seaman Apprentice

I don't know why everyone knocks the 3.0 so bad. I have a '97 Bayliner 1950 Capri with a 3.0 and it does fine by me. It will run 40 MPH on GPS, it does fine pulling a tube although we have never water skied with it. I recently installed smart tabs and it jumps right up on plane. It also gets very good fuel mileage and has been totally dependable. This is my first boat so maybe I don't know what I am missing, but for us cruising the lakes it doesn't seem terribly under powered. Anyway, rant over, I just had to write in and stick up for the poor little 3.0 that takes so much abuse on this forum.​

jdlough

FFrank,

Thanks for the first-hand experience advice with the 1950 hull/3.0L combo.
It sounds like it's good enough for me for a family-tubing-first boat.
If I can get him to come down in price, and it passes my in-law Coasti's inspection, I may still nab it.

Otherwise, it's back to my $5000 limit, and I may not find something this nice.

I'd rather have an outboat boat, but outboard prices apparently have gone insane in recent years, so I'd probably have to get an older boat with an older motor.

Jim

FusionFrank

Seaman Apprentice

Jim,
IMO, I think you will be happy with that boat, mine is everything we need in a first boat. In fact, we are leaving soon to head to my cabin for a long weekend of boating fun - it is so relaxing. What ever boat you go get, consider Smart Tabs, I got the SX models with 60lb actuators - what a difference they make, even my wife could tell a difference and she is usually blind to that stuff. Good luck.
Frank​