I need Nanny 911

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Looking for ideas. I have a 3 year old that throws fits about everything! She will lay on the floor yelling and intentionally slobbering a puddle of saliva on the floor. The fits come from anything from cutting her sandwich when she didn't want it cut to fights over toys with her sister.<br />Most of the time they get along great, but once in a while the 3 year old gets angry. Yesterday I gave her something for lunch she didn't want. She pushed her plate onto the floor and went into a fit. Today she wanted to play a game on Nickjr.com. She didn't think I started the right game for her, so the yelling screaming crying started. Yesterday she also got mad at her sister because her sister got onto the potty before her. She is a good fighter and kicked her sisters rear. It was funny to watch, but not right.<br />I have tried spanking, yelling, sending her to her room, walking away, going to the time out chair. My latest is a sticker chart. At lunch if she has had no fits she gets a sticker, then at night another if she is good. At the end when the chart is full she gets a dollar to spend as she wants. This worked for 2 days. <br />As soon as she is done she will usually come and say "I'm sorry daddy". All will be good until the next time. <br />Any suggestions will be great. She will grow out of it, but I would rather speed the process a bit.

SoulWinner

Commander
Re: I need Nanny 911

30 days in the hole? I don't know DD. We have some friends who have one that does that, and I don't see anything that would curb that behavior. Thier kid is real stuborn, and it doesn't matter what they do, she will still pitch fits and stuff. I know it is frustrating, just try not to kill the little offender! :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you first need to find out if this is a behavioral problem that she can learn her way out of or a psychological/medical problem that should be treated.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Ralph 123

Captain

It can happen some times when they are tired. Is she sleeping well? Taking a long nap during the day? Something to think about esp if her sister is older and she's trying to keep up with her and fighting to stay up...

NathanY

Commander

My daughter tried to act like that once. ONCE. Then she saw just how mean daddy can get. One swat on the bottom with a paddle, she has never acted that way again. Just having the paddle laying around is enough for her to know that I mean bussiness when I tell her to do something. I dont like to use it, but she knows I will.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Consitency..<br />Have you seen "Supernanny" the kids get a timeout and a chance to apologize. But the kids understand that they will receive corrective action every time, thats the consitency part.<br /><br />I take it a little further and ask my kid to tell me what they did wrong, then quickly discuss why it was wrong (kids have short attention span). Only when they are truly sorry and can explain the poor behavior do I let them out of the T/O area, (minuets do not exceed 2x their age). <br /><br />Oh, in my house we do not have a designated time out area, when they start acting up I like the idea of having XxX corners to choose from. That way when I'm outside any old corner or tree will do.<br /><br />I used to be picky about stand up, sit down, face the corner, etc. But have determined time is the real key. Just cant let them play or become destructive during the T/O.<br /><br />My $.02, Good luck there are no quick and easy answers, what works for one person does not always work for the other.<br /><br />P.S. mine threw a fit one day on the floor so I decided to join in. Must have been a site to see, 2yr old and 35+ Dad both kicking a screaming on the floor. Got the kids attention tho.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Insufficient sleep, I bet you can't get her outdoors to much yet, but the fresh air will help her sleep. I would also consider modifing her diet. Watch the sugars, especially natural. <br />Set some boundaries too. If they are exceeded, issue the agreed on disipline. Naps would be a winner. They do grow out of it, be patient.

Ralph 123

Captain

Excellent point NYM - Sugar is a definite issue with many kids. It has an almost immediate affect especially if it processed sugar. Once you're aware of it you can see it happen right before your eyes after they eat or drink something. Things like juices, which you'd think are good for kids, are loaded with sugar. They can start bouncing off the walls after just a few sips.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I feel your pain. My 2 yr old can act in the same way.<br /><br />Some kids are easy, some are difficult.<br /><br />Keep doing what you are doing, everything sounds good to me.<br /><br />Ken

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

We aree consistant now. The time outs are with the timer on the stove set for 5 minutes. If we are outside timeout on the deck for 5 minutes on my watch. When the timer goes off she can get up IF she appoloigizes and tells us what she did wrong. <br />The paddle did no good at all. At first she was surprised and scared and cried harder and for real. Now she just takes it and continues. <br />She goes to sleep at 7P.M. and gets up at 8:30A.M. Has not napped for over a year. If she naps she won't sleep at night. We do 1 hour of quiet time each afternoon where they sit and color or look at books. <br />All of my kids get candy about one peice every other week or so. We just don't have it around, and they don't ask for it. They get pop maybe a sip from one of ours every other day. I suspect ADHD in my oldest (just like I have). Pop has a calming effect on her, but we try to stay away from it for their health.<br />My wife has done the mimmicking her with the tantrums on the floor. What helped for a while was my laughing at her, but not now.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like your doing everything I would, but the kids keep changing the rules so what worked last week is now obsolete.<br /><br />It can be a trying time. Hang in there.<br />If you suspect Add/Adhd I would start by getting her an assement by doctor or Pysc with experience diagnosing the condition. <br /><br />My oldest was diag with ADD at 9, I',m not partial to meds but the difference on/off the meds is sometimes miraclous.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

My son was ADD and if he didn't get his meds in the morning the school was calling by 10 AM to come get the monster. Before he was diagnosed and put on meds I spent thousands of dollars and mucho time with psychiatrists, psychologists, counselors. Ritalin was a blessing... for me and him. It kept me from killing him and going to the pen. But you know what.... Lordy, I love that boy. :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Sounds like the kids don't take mom and pop seriously... <br /><br />Ya'll need either a switch, or a Nun with a ruler... <br /><br />Personally, I ain't nuttin a switch on a bare azz or the calf would'nt fix post haste.. ;) <br /><br />"Spare the rod".. PHOOEY! I'd wear that rod out...

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I used the rod on my son.... phooey... big deal. I would have to beat him to death for it to have made a difference. I used to think that a proper spanking could cure all bad behavior. Ha!! That kid made me change my way of thinking.

crab bait

Captain

supernanny's naughty mat seems in order.. <br /><br />also when you scold or talk seriously to her stoop down an look her in the eye..<br /><br />supernanny pulls up in a cab..<br /><br />while nanny 911 comes from nanny central an wears a maroon cap an cape..

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 year old, eh? My granddaughter behaves that badly, if not worse at times. Her parents are unable to deal with it, they are both big and strong adults. <br />However, when the neighbor, a tiny woman, has the brat for childcare,the kid is well behaved. <br /> And when my daughter-in-laws mom (a much smaller woman)is over for the week, I do not see near the fuss. Huh, huh. Baffled. Batavier

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I feel your pain..., I really do. Many a day that discription could describe my own daughter. I'm with ya brother Keep on keepin on.<br /><br />The nanny line really hits home, on the ocasion the wife and I watch it we ask ourselves...our kids arn't that bad...........are they? so far the answer has been a waivering no but regardless ain't no one coming in my house with a camera :D

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

DD, I finally found the web site that our doctor requested we go to and fill out a questionair. It scores your answers and provides a rating of how likley the child has ADD/ADHD. It is a fee based site and requires a clinic ID (doctors office ID) so they can bill the clinic/insurance. ADD/ADHD <br />May not be exactly what your looking for but might be a start in the correct direction.<br /><br />good luck, breath deeply, and give yourself a timeout once and a while (it helps).