What pitched prop should I start with

jclever

Recruit
I understand that finding the right prop involves some trial and error, I just want a good place to start. Motor is a 1965 merc 900 inline 6 on a 1965 16' Crestliner Del Rio. That boat is a basic design from that time: fiberglass, closed bow, no cabin...fully loaded I'm gonna say it weighs no more than 1500lbs and that's a high guess. I dont have a tach on it yet and probably wont for a while.

I will be going with a 3 blade aluminum. Looking at mercury's prop chart from the 60's it says that I should be using a 19 to 21 pitch. Does this look right or should I be trying a lower pitch?

I mostly want top speed but will occasionally use it to tow a tuber. Thanks for any input.

-Josh

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What pitched prop should I start with

I would probably start with the 19 pitch, but I'd likely try with a used prop first even one with a few small dings if it was cheap enough. You will really need the tach to properly dial it in and you may have to go through more than one prop to get it right. Even two different props of the same size and pitch can perform differently.