Finding a replacement starter '63 OMC

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice
The starter on my '63 Johnson is done. It is an old Prestolite model MGD 4002 which isn't made any more as far as I can tell. How can I find out manufacturer and model for a direct replacement?

Thanks.

Jbo

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Finding a replacement starter '63 OMC

Which motor do you have?

Also, before you try to replace it, ask your local OMC/BRP dealer who they send their starters to for rebuild. There are many general alternator/starter rebuild shops that can rebuild older Prestolite outboard starters. I had two rebuilt about four years ago - one 2 brush unit and one 4 brush unit. The shop did an excellent job, including repainting the exterior of the starters. I paid about $100 each for the work.

PS: Just found a place that seems to have that starter - see link, page 17. Their part number is 206-17017. It is the starter only, but the old units are easy to remove from the bracket, and the new units are equally easy to install.

http://dixie-electric.com/catalog/9800-CTKO-005 SPD.pdf

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is VERY interesting!!

jbo_c

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks.

My Johnson is a 40hp.

Jbo

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I believe that your starter is the same one that was used for many years, starting with the ERude Bigtwins and Johnson Seahorses of the middle fifties. It can also be found on the Jonyrude 28hp motors, the 33hp motors and, as well as the various "Superquiet" versions in the 35hp and 40 hp range. Because of this, there are a lot of used examples on the auction sites.There is also another brand that was used, but I can't remember it right now. If you run across one, it should fit your starter bracket, as well.

One of the things that I found to be interesting about the site that I found (Dixie-Electric), is that the Prestolite starter listing says that the application is for a Wisconsin engine. According to the Wisconsin Motors website, their motors are typically used to power sweepers, wood grinders, concrete pumps, concrete saws, lifts and trenchers. This means that there is a much broader market for these starters than just the older OMC motors, and that is a good thing because it means there will be continued availability of this item.