What is a fair price for this truck ?? :) ??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Need some opinions guys. If you have one, please chime in.

I'm looking at a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4, tow package, I6 engine.
I've looked at this truck several times and believe it is a real cream puff.

Everything works.
No signs of abuse anywhere.
No signs of any damage or repairs.
No signs of body or paint work, fit and finish looks perfect and even.
Clean carfax if that really means anything.
Drives like it should.
Tow hitch appears un-used.
Is a local trade, have original owners number and plan to call him tomorrow.

I had a mechanic check it over, and he can't find anything wrong, anything that needs attention, or any evidence of damage.

Brand new sticker tires.
Brakes done last year.
74,000 miles.
4 newer shocks and looks like idler arms on the front end.
Engine and transmission are dry, but dusty from the local roads and farm fields.

A little wear on the carpet from the drivers left foot.
2 nickel sized scuffs on the right rear quarter panel.
A few superficial scratches and stone chips on the front.
And a nickel sized mark on the rear seat, looks like something got stuck to it and it left a mark when they cleaned it off.

I have only found a few Trailblazers for sale within 40 miles, they were 2006 and 2007 models.

What would be a fair price?

I will only drive it about 5,000 miles a year, so it should last me 10 years, or until the engine or trans goes south.

What do you think?

Tyme2fish

Commander
Re: What is a fair price for this truck ?? :) ??

I've got a '97 Merc Mountaneer AWD that I'll let go cheap. Make me an offer!!! Only driven to church twice by my son during his college years

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

A quick NADA check gave a MAX 8k trade in and MAX 10k retail.

That was for my area.Hope this helps.

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

That 02 Trailblazer may not be the best buy out there, unless you just gotta have it. Air conditioning, electrical and transmission problems are regular occurances on that model. My son is an ASE Master and those models have come up as one to avoid.

Good luck.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

My boss has one and for the first three months she had it it was in the shop more than on the road. Run away.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

$5500 is my shot. They have shot down in value. My son has the same one an 02.

He had to replace a wheel bearing and the clutch fan ........ mpg not the greatest but a nice riding vehicle.

If the price is right ..... go for it. They have no real trade in value (Under 4000)...... Look them up on KBB

I know for one thing the kelly blue book and others like it that were printed 3 or 4 months ago or longer are OFF on the current real values. The terrific gas increase and very very very uncertain future about when and how much the next price increase hits (and it will) makes big SUVs worth far less than what they were 3 months ago. I say 5k maybe 6. Of course they are being sold for 12 to 15 k to folks who just dont care about fuel cost I guess

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok, I live next to the sticks, the 2400 sq miles around my house has only 36,000 people.

We have no import car dealers within an hour drive, so those are out just on service availability.

I am looking for the smallest REAL 4x4 I can buy. AWD ain't gonna cut it where I drive.

I don't need or want a pick-up, don't particularly like the Dodge line, and not particularly fond of the Ford Explorer.

So that leaves the Trailblazer.
I already have a Blazer and an Explorer with 320,000 miles between them, so its time to replace one.

I've read about the problems with some trailblazers, but I haven't found any vehicle that doesn't have problems, especially when they have been on the road for 7 years.

I just got off the phone with the original owner - 74 years old, turns out he and my dad grew up together. He gave me a list of repairs he had done; power seat switch, seatbelt retractor, rear defroster switch in the dash, and new air conditioner compressor in 2006. He just bought a new Equinox.

The window sticker was 10,499, now has dropped to 8,499.
I was thinking 6,000, he was hinting 7,500.
Gonna have to sit down and see what they will take.

So, what would you offer if you wanted to close the deal, but not pay for the salesman's Florida vacation?

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member

If it was a "cherry" vehicle that I really wanted I would probably offer them $7000 out the door (including tax, title, registration), and go from there.

Is it "worth" $7500? Only you can tell that ... you are the one that has seen it, and you are the one that wants it. In the used market a vehicle is really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. (I have a friend that made an impulse buy in a 2003 Envoy with 50K on it ... paid $14,000 for her - I am sure the dealer was happy, but my friend is also, so not gonna burst his bubble. Happy is all that matters.) With the higher prices of gas the used market in X4's has dropped like a rock! But 4 wheel drive season is coming up fast ... and it will be worth more in a couple of months!

Good luck, and enjoy the negotiating process! BTW, by the original price of the vehicle and what has happened to the market, I don't think you have to worry about financing a salesman's Florida Vacation on this unit! LOL!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I'm with Aspeck on this one...............a good deal in your mind is all that matters in the end........................I hope it works out for you.

gonefishie

Commander

7 grands out the door, leave it or take it. I wouldn't offer anymore then that. If you take your time and browse craigslist of your area and the auctions. You will most likely get better deal then from a car dealer. Trucks are not being look at in auction nowaday and they go for cheap.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

7 grands out the door, leave it or take it. I wouldn't offer anymore then that. If you take your time and browse craigslist of your area and the auctions. You will most likely get better deal then from a car dealer. Trucks are not being look at in auction nowaday and they go for cheap.

I disagree on the "no dealer" statement, although it does depend on the dealer.

My brothers truck was just totaled in a one driver wreck in Florida. His work truck was parked, and some teenagers were doing donuts in a parking lot when they lost control of daddies car. :mad: Totaled, but with witnesses, including the police. :D

It is his work truck, he is there with his boat, living in a hotel, and needs it to transport his tools every day. They gave him a small cheap rental car, which is of little use, till he gets a new one. :mad: He needed a new truck fast.

He had no luck in Florida finding one, and all that I found on the Internet there, were “bait and switch” deals on trucks they didn't really have to sell.

He fly's home to pick it up this weekend.

The one I found him in Arkansas (where he normally lives, but is never there), is a dealer demo truck, 2008 Nissan Titan SE-Crew Cab, 1,600 miles, full factory warranty/guaranty, and the end price (after dealing) was $14,000.

Normal base price, $29,530 without options.

The best I could do in Florida (where he is at working at the moment), was $24,000.

I handled on the telephone with them, and they reduced the price by $2,000 (see end price above), added a $600 Nissan tow package, bed liner, 4x rubber work mats, added the extended warranty, and filled it up.

It has a 317-hp 5.6-liter V8, 5-speed automatic transmission with Tow/Haul mode, 4-wheel ABS, 168? wide open rear doors, 40/20/40 split front bench seat, AC, 18" alloys, chrome bumpers & grille, power outside mirrors, power door locks & windows, including back glass window, remote keyless entry, radio & in-dash 6-CD changer with MPW/WMA and auxiliary audio input jacks.

All standard, plus a few other extra options i forget.

I am not sure it makes any since right now to buy a used truck with the discounts on new or near new ones being what they are, but it definitely makes since to shop in the middle of America, as far from the two coast as you can get.

On the open market the best I could find for this truck used, was $22,000 with 38,000 miles.

cribber

Lieutenant

Keep haggling with the dealer if this is what you're looking to buy. You'll get to his bottom line price eventually. $7000 out the door is about right and get him to throw in free oil changes. You could find one cheaper by looking further out, but staying local is always best when buying used. Do some comparisons in your state at http://cars.com for 2002 Blazers.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Aspeck on this one...............a good deal in your mind is all that matters in the end........................I hope it works out for you.

Well, yes, I agree also. But it takes me a long time to save up money, so I don't want to give it away.

Since I plan to keep the vehicle for 8-10 years, if I would over pay by a grand, it works out to $100 per year over the 10 years I will have it. Not that I want to over pay. But really, there are bigger things in life to worry about.

So, I'll go see him next Friday when I have my next day off, borrow it over the weekend of the 24th, and make an offer the next week. If he doesn't take it, I guess I can wait till next year. I'm working too much to spend any more time looking.

So, $6500 is my top dollar, which should get me out the door around $7080.

Wish me luck.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Well, yes, I agree also. But it takes me a long time to save up money, so I don't want to give it away.

Since I plan to keep the vehicle for 8-10 years, if I would over pay by a grand, it works out to $100 per year over the 10 years I will have it. Not that I want to over pay. But really, there are bigger things in life to worry about.

So, I'll go see him next Friday when I have my next day off, borrow it over the weekend of the 24th, and make an offer the next week. If he doesn't take it, I guess I can wait till next year. I'm working too much to spend any more time looking.

So, $6500 is my top dollar, which should get me out the door around $7080.

Wish me luck.

You now have a price you're willing to pay and a time schedule.................sounds like you're ready to deal...;):)..........good luck.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I always like to wait until the last week of the month and try to get a deal done after 8pm. They want to get that stuff off their books by months end.....at some point it is better for them to get it off the books than lose $500-$1000 from you. The later in the day the better, as they will want to get a deal done after spending so much time on it.

I did this when I bought my Silverado a few months ago. 2004, 39k, all the bells and whistles you can imagine, hd towing package. Sticker price was $17,850. Walked out paying $13,900 after all the dmv add ons etc.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hi Pony, good to hear from you. How ya doing?

I hear you on the end of the month/salesmen competion-incentives, etc, etc.

But here in smallsville ...........
The dealership really has no money in this vehicle as it was a new vehicle trade and they surely made that to their advantage. Also, there is only one salesman/ assistant manager.

The only clock I feel there is, is the one that ticks down to sending the vehicle to auction. They know they will get nothing there, so they will hold it until someone buys it.

I will take my time. Already had it to my mechanic, and will try to borrow it for a weekend (23-24th) and put 300 miles on it. They were open to this when I suggested it. Then sit and talk on the 29th. Not really waiting till the end of the month, just works out that way.

I don't have to have this vehicle, so if I miss it, oh well.
I have also been looking at Ford Escapes, but can't seem to find any 4x4 models, and am not impressed with the power plant.

Still at BestBuy? Doing well?

maybe you can splain the return policy.
The buy anything for over $250 cash, but have to wait for a corporate check if you have to return the item.

There must be a reason, just don't know what it is. $250 seems a bit low.

Take care.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I have been doing pretty well. I am still at Best Buy and still going to school. I am on a fast track for management right now, but am still trying to get my Bachelors in Business Management to have as a back up. District Staff have been grooming me for a spot for a few months now......just a matter of when a spot opens in my field. Not sure how long that will take, but I will probably graduate with a double Major in Business Managment and Art History and a minor in Architectural Studies.

The return policy is a little different than most retailers. We have a restocking fee so that the fees associated with marking down an item are passed on to person who chose to change their mind and not the rest of the consumer base. (obviously there isnt a fee if the product is defective). The $250 is interesting to say the least. I don't quite understand it myself, but have been told that BBY doesn't want the customer service employees handling that much cash......probably for safety sake. I guess this is for the inner city stores mainly but they have to roll it out company wide to be consistant.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife has a trailblazer she drives to work. Its a 2005, loaded and might just be hitting 40,000 miles. She's looking to go back up to a suburban again and trade this one in. The best deal for a trade in was $8,000; and that was no bargain either because they kept the price of the suburban a bit higher than it should have been.

So realistically we can't give the thing away. Especially out here in Jersey where everyone has a suv. I'm probably going to keep it and give my work truck to one of my employees and drive the trailblazer till it dies.

So there you go; I probably couldn't get rid of a 2005 lt3 trailblazer for $10,000 if I tried. And If I did; it would have cost me around $6000/year to own it. Not very good economics in my opinion.