I want more germs

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Every household cleaner and various other items like sponges seem to be sold now on the basis that they kill germs.<br /><br />I want my household germs. <br /><br />They breed immunity.<br /><br />Live in a sterile environment and you have no immunity. <br /><br />Among other things I've done the following without ever getting sick. <br /><br />Worked in shearing sheds for a few years pulling dags (sheep poo) and urine soaked wool out of fleeces for a good part of two hour stretches four times a day. Washed our hands in cold water that couldn't remove the lanolin and whatever bugs it held before eating sandwiches etc with bare hands.<br /><br />Worked as a cleaner for a few months cleaning toilets with abrasive pads with my bare hands shoved into the toilet bowl to scrub off the hard bits and push hard and soft blockages (men's and ladies' toilets) around the S bend. Nearly walked out at the start of the first shift when I was shown what to do but I needed the work. You get used to it in no time. Definitely washed my hands big time, but only at the end of a shift. <br /><br />Drank farm tank water with all sorts of bugs and who knows what dead animals like possums in it. Always best not to look into the tank.<br /><br />Ate mutton and poultry killed in the field and dressed in sheds that wouldn't pass modern building regulations, never mind health regs.<br /><br />I usually don't de-vein (i.e. remove the poo tube on) prawns before eating them. Too much trouble and they don't taste any different.<br /><br />I occasionally eat some food that's been dropped on the floor, like my last savoury biscuit, which in my squalid house is a definite dice with death.<br /><br />Despite all this the only time I've been sick for years with anything but flu and colds is this summer when I got a real nasty dose of gastro from crook water supplied to my beach shack through the mains of the local water supply authority.

dolluper

Captain
Re: I want more germs

Good place to get more germs is a putter keyboard at a library or caffe go an enjoy :D :D

D

DJ

I believe there is some truth to what Tinkerer is saying.<br /><br />We are becoming a "sterile society" to our own peril.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

I think that you should eat grass at least once in a while.<br /><br />A shot glass full of lye water if the grass dosen't work.<br /><br />I understand immunity, (just can't spell it), it's a good thing. However, (and you must add this to your lifestyle), even nature's critters have ways of removing parasitic infestations.<br /><br />I read your post last night, w/o a snack, I am still thinking about how I'd respond to it. Alot of thoughts and my own memories come to mind. My fathers ways did keep me on the straght road, kinda). I know/knew whats in my heart then and now. I had a transformation 17 years ago, I am not the same. Thats a good thing, as I was starting to be to my children, like my father was to me. <br />So far I found what is best for me. If ANYONE has somthing better, I will take a look at it. <br />And OH YES, pray for your children! I am not a saint, (by Rome's deffinition), But I have seen and been the reciepient of miracles. The last 17 years of my life have been the most difficult and the most blessed .. at the same time! go figure. <br /><br />Tink, you're on alot of our's hearts and minds today. And don't feel forgotton or alone. You're obviously a survivor, don't give up or dispair...sl<br />Sorry, my spelling is real bad...<br /><br />MOD's how can we use an online spell checker on these boards?

D

DJ

MOD's how can we use an online spell checker on these boards?<br />
Unfortunately, there isn't one. If you're really worried about spelling/grammar, etc., reply in Word Perfect and cut and paste to the post.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> [ If you're really worried about spelling/grammer, etc., reply in Word Perfect and cut and past to the post.
Sorry, but I just can't resist it.<br /><br />Grammer?<br /><br />Past?<br /><br />Next scene: DJ takes Tinkerer to DJ's woodshed and admininsters a severe bum thrashing for being a smart bum.

D

DJ

Hey, I just said you CAN do that. It doesn't mean I did/do. ;) <br /><br />Besides, you Aussies have funny ways of spelling things.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check into any hospital. Rumor has it it is the best place to catch germs. A good heroin habit and sharing needles would add to your germ collection.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Hey, I just said you CAN do that. It doesn't mean I did/do. ;) <br /><br />Besides, you Aussies have funny ways of spelling things.
What's funny about theatre and colour and aeroplane and defence?<br /><br />Just because you lot separated yourselves from the mother tongue around the time we were importing Irish convicts to extend its reach down isn't our fault. :D

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

That reminds me of when I was ranching. Every once in a while, about every other day or so, we would have to "pull a calf".<br />For those of you that don't know, once in a while just like in humans a baby cow will be in the mamma backwards. You could tell by either mamma cow taking too long to give birth or the feet would be upside down as they come out. So I would get the cow into the barn and lock her head in a catch. Reach in and grab the calf, put a set of calf chains similar to a choke collar for a dog on the babies legs and pull. If it didn't come we had a mechanical puller, a come along or winch on a pole that rested against the cows legs. Usually you end up into the cow up to your elbows or your biceps. There usually wasn't enough time to do any cleaning first. Anyway, after pulling the baby you rub it down a little until it starts breathin good. Then go wash in the freezing stock tank until the slime was gone and go about the day. Usually the cow would be kind enough to empty her bowels onto your arm in the process. One nice thing though, most baby cows are born in cold weather. Reaching into that cow was very warm! The first time my hired hand brought out the long sleeve length glove, I thought he was a little strange. <br />I have also done C sections on cows out in the pasture during a emergency, and even performed CPR breathing to get a calf to start breathing after a long hard birth. <br />About once a year we would have a cow that would prolapse. That is another tale in itself, but I would work the uterus back in and sew her up. <br />I was never sick in those days. Now not very often. Part of it I believe was working outside every day from sunup to sundown. The fresh air was the best cure for most anything. <br />My friend did get sick once when he was washing a pill pusher and syringes (pill pusher is a long tube used to insert a large pill into a calf). He and his family all got the same disease his calves had from the germs transferring to his kitchen sink.<br />Anyway, yes there is something to what was said about natural immunity.<br />Just look at children that grow up in daycare compared to those who do not. My oldest spent the first year and a half in daycare. She is my healthy child even today. My two youngest ones have never been in daycare and get every little bug that comes around.

Ralph 123

Captain

Come to my house. We got plenty of them for you. Our 6 yr old brings new ones home from school everyday. One of us seem to have been sick with one bug or another every day this winter. Talking to other parents of students in his class, they've experienced the same thing.<br /><br />If you'd like, we can all breath into a bag and mail to you ;)

tylerin

Commander

Have you ever ate a dust bunny. Gives you cotton mouth :D

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tinkerers got a point -- I grew up with a bath at night, still bath every night, to wash the days dirt off. An there was always a lot of dirt - that's what we had for a yard! A friend got called in and bathed, clean clothes 2 - 3 times a day (they had more clothes than we did) he was always sick: missed a lot of school in high school. To his day don't worry about grand kids getting dirty -- good for them.<br /><br />Don't know if I'd drink the creek water anymore though.<br /><br />D_Dawg caving is going strong around here -- several friends could use your help -- especially at night -- oh yes; it's 8% and snowing today! But don't let that stop you, as you know those cow rears are warm!<br /><br />S&C check out ispell.com; works great!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

ever got a prescription for a 10-day course of anti-biotics & only took 'em for 3-4 days? Then you only killed the weaker of the germs & left the rest (the ones with some immunity to the drug) to reproduce. Then your spouse gets the same symptoms & takes a few days' worth. Next time that drug won't work. Enough people do that, you get super-bugs that aren't killed by the anti-biotics.<br /><br />Happens every day.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> ever got a prescription for a 10-day course of anti-biotics & only took 'em for 3-4 days? Then you only killed the weaker of the germs & left the rest (the ones with some immunity to the drug) to reproduce. Then your spouse gets the same symptoms & takes a few days' worth. Next time that drug won't work. Enough people do that, you get super-bugs that aren't killed by the anti-biotics.<br /><br />Happens every day.
Smashing da nail on da head...yup!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> Check into any hospital. Rumor has it it is the best place to catch germs. A good heroin habit and sharing needles would add to your germ collection.
Got that right, my wife is a nurse. She gets more colds that a grammer school student.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Stuff that intentionally goes in my mouth, eyes, or nose better be clean. Anything else can be dirty.<br /><br />A growing concern is the number and extent of the vaccines that children are being given. 30 years ago children were vaccinated for about 12 diseases, now it is over 50.<br />Are you all aware of the fact that babies are now vaccinated for Hepatitus b before they even leave the hospital. Why? Under whose authority? And polio? Why vaccinate for dideases that no longer exist?<br /><br />Look at all the allergies, asthma, ADD, and immune system problems the kids of today are suffering from. Many in the healthcare field are starting to make connections between all the new problems and the fact that very young children are having their immune systems bombarded with vaccines at a very young age. <br /><br />Remember back to when you were a kid. Were there any kids in your school classes that were sick or on medication? Maybe 1. Now look at todays classroom. Sick and medicated kids everywhere.<br /><br />They started vaccinating for Chicken pox a few years ago. Good, you say? No, it isn't. When you get chx pox, you develope antibodies against it. Periodic exposure to the virus keeps your resistance to the illness intact. But now, since we adults are not being exposed to the virus, our immunity to it is weakening. Anybody know how this virus manifests itself in adutls as our immunity diminishes. "Shingles". Painfull, longlasting, deadly, debilitating, incurable. Healthcare statistics are showing an increased frequency of shingles in the last few years. Look for more cases soon.<br /><br />Now for the good news. A growing number of parents are opting out of all these vaccines for their children. Some are having to battle school systems and government officials, but well worth the fight in my opinion.<br /><br /><br /> http://www.novaccines.com/ <br /><br /><br /> http://www.redflagsweekly.com/

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

My grandmother always said a boy wasn't healthy unless he ate at least a pound of dirt a day. <br /><br />I am out of the calving business. I really miss it on those nice warm moonlit nights, but that is about it. My last year on the ranch we ended up with 3 days straight of -20 temps and freezing rain or snow combination. My hired hands were snowed out and I was snowed in, so worked alone. Ended up with about 85 calves born during that storm. Every hour I was in the saddle ridin through the herd in 6 inches of mud under 3 feet of snow. On the third night I was dead tired, my 3 best horses were worn out as I traded horses every 4 hours.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> If you'd like, we can all breath into a bag and mail to you ;)
Hey Ralph, maybe you've stumbled on to a good ebay item. Should be worth at least a few hundred. "Guaranteed! Instant immunity." :D or maybe "Please! Take my germs away."