converting from OMC to Yamaha

gates

Recruit
I have a 1993 Lowe (16 ft.) with a 70hp Evinrude. I am thinking of converting to a 1989 70hp.Yamaha, because my oil injection doesn't work, and I would like to have a motor with an operating oil injection system. Will the steering controls from the Yamaha work with my boat, and what about the ignition switch, will that have to be changed as well because of the priming for cold start.Any info would be appreciated.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: converting from OMC to Yamaha

The oil system can either be repaired or bypassed(disconnected), so why would you give up on the omc? Is there other issues with it? Anyway, the steering would work but the ignition would have to be converted along with the other controls>

gates

Recruit

I understand I would have to change oil pumps. Ther is an upgraded pump now that is more dependable, which would cost me 500.00$ for the pump alone. I just picked up a 4stroke Yamaha kicker, and it would be nice to feed out of my built in gas tank for both motors with unmixed fuel.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I have no idea how much Yamaha controls would cost, but you might want to shop around for the OMC pump. I just had the pump for my 175 Johnson replaced by my dealer last week. He charged me $335.00 for the pump.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What's wrong with the pump you have?

gates

Recruit

The previous owner disconnected it for fear of problems ,because that era oil pump were known to fail, so rather than risk engine damage, he disconnected it. Now I spoke to a mechanic at the local Evinrude dealer, and because of these issues,he recomended I upgrade to a new pump. H e found it quite risky to power up the old pump after so many years (5).He quoted me like $450.00 plus tax, for the pump alone. I could pick up a fuel injected 70 hp. 1989 Yamaha with controls for under $2,000.00, with a rebuilt bottom end. I figured I could flip mine for around the same price. The draw back of course is the labour involved. As "ryoung" suggested, I should shop around for a better pump price.