Excessive Play In Outdrive 1974 140 Mercruiser

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
This is my first I/O so please forgive my ignorance...
My stern drive seems to have excessive side to side play and I think I've located the cause. The top shaft that the outdrive pivots on when steering the boat looks like it may have a worn out bushing???
The location of this shaft and bushing is right near the trim limit switch.
Can someone please tell me if this is a common repair and what the correct name of the part is?
Any help at all would be great.

AEROCOOK

Re: Excessive Play In Outdrive 1974 140 Mercruiser

I've just spent a very frustrating hour on the internet trying to find a parts diagram for my sterndrive and came up with nothing.
First of all, can someone please confirm that my 1974 140 I.O is in fact a type "R" ?
I think I can identify the parts that I need if I could see a parts schematic but not surprisingly, the vast majority of parts info on the internet applies to the newer style outdrives.
Can someone tell me where to find a parts list / diagram for this unit?
Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

First of all, can someone please confirm that my 1974 140 I.O is in fact a type "R" ?

Nope,.... It's a Model 1,....

This is the Factory Manual for your motor,+ drive,.... It's rather Large,+ will take Along Time to download....
There's probably pictures in there.....

The Odds are, it would be easier to Update to a newer transom assembley, than to Fix your's....
Your's is probably Old enough to be the Splined shaft, instead of the newer Square shaft.....

AEROCOOK

Thank you so much for the reply. Yes it does have the splined shaft. Upgrading to a newer style would exceed my budget but all I need (I think) are a couple of bushings to get rid of the play. If the parts are available, I dont see it as being a difficult repair???

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

I might be Wrong,...

But it's Usually the Splines,+ Not the Bushngs that go Bad....

AEROCOOK

Ayuh,...

I might be Wrong,...

But it's Usually the Splines,+ Not the Bushngs that go Bad....

I think you're right Bond-o, I took a closer look when I got home from work and the play seems to be in the splines. I guess Ill be living with it for now.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You might be surprised at the price you can get a used transom assembly for. It wouldn't hurt to begin looking around. Be patient and you may be able to pick one up for very little money.