I hate it when that happens!!

LubeDude

Admiral
Had the hard drive go out in the home computer yesterday, It gave me some warning so I was able to save everything, but it will still take the rest of the week to get it back as it was. Anyway, I have it going again thanks to the sale at staples this week, 160 Gg for $69.99. Old one was less than two years old, 120Gg Maxtor, I would have thought it would have lasted a bit longer. :( Oh well, its just money.<br /><br />One plus, brand new installs are really nice for awhile, everything runs so nice. :D <br /><br />Anyway, "IM BAAAAAACCCCKK" I know, knowone even new I was gone. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Triton II

Commander
Re: I hate it when that happens!!

Don't ya hate it when you post to the wrong thread (NEW TOY) LubeDude! LOL. :rolleyes: <br /><br />PS Good to see you started a new topic.<br />PPS Welcome back!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Triton II:<br /> Don't ya hate it when you post to the wrong thread (NEW TOY) LubeDude! LOL. :rolleyes: <br /><br />P
:eek: :eek: Ya, I hate that too :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

L'Dude, be sure to partition your new harddrive. Direct all of you data to one of the other drives (D:, E:) also store any progam download on on other than the root drive (C:). This way if you ever need to reload your OS you don't have to scavange your drive for data. You'll just have to reload programs and if any of them had been downloaded, you can just reinstall them from the downloaded folder on one of the other drives.<br /><br />Oh, I guess you already done it! :eek:

LubeDude

Admiral

Yes, Im a "LOT" Smarter now!! :D <br /><br />I actually just finished with "ALL" of my reloading, it didnt take near as much time as I thought it would. Everything but the screen saver and the wallpaper. Looking for a flying bottle of Amsoil. :p :p

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />Looking for a flying bottle of Amsoil. :p :p
guess you'll have to email your ole buddy Al. He ought to fix ya right up. :D

ZmOz

Captain

I had my backup drive die a few days ago. It just so happens that I reformatted the drive on my main computer about two weeks ago, and haven't really reloaded everything...so the backup drive had the only copy of all my important files. :rolleyes: Lost about 1000 pictures I took that meant alot to me...not to mention just about everything else I've been collecting the last 10 years or so. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ouch ZmOz! This computer maintanance business can be a real pain. I have three drives on my work computer. Two internal hard drives and one external Firewire drive. My business data is on the Firewire and each time I use it I back it up to both of the internal hard drives. I doubt all three will die at once. <br /><br />I contacted a back up program provider to see if they had the capability to chain a back up function so I could do the above with one command. They said not yet, maybe in the future.

ZmOz

Captain

From now on everything important I have is going onto a DVD...and then into the safe deposit box.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Boomyal,<br /> I believe you can do what you want with scheduled batch files that include ntbackup or xcopy. I used to back up several multiple drives from a multitude of servers to tape at 3:00AM while I was fast asleep. Run your ntbackup(or xcopy) with the /? switch from a command prompt to see appropiate switches. Incorporate all necessary parameters into a batch file and submit it to the Scheduler.

JasonB

Lieutenant

HDD quality has gone downhill due to trying to keep them cheap. I buy them by the case at work, so I see many. My favorite of the bunch these days is Seagate. They have a 5yr warranty. Their CEO released a note that if they were going to claim that their drives had 5 years MTBF, they were going to warranty it for that long. Other mfgrs are down to 1 year, and I have seen many of they drop dead just after the 1yr mark.<br /><br /><br />For backup software, try novastore.com. You may also want to look up a program named Second Copy. If you have multiple drives, including zips, USP, firewire, etc, it will copy the selected files at what ever interval you want. If I remember,it's less tahn $20.

KaGee

Admiral

Just make sure you hold off on the synthetic blends until the drive is broken in..... Snick!<br /><br /><br />Sorry..... just had to.... :D

eeboater

Commander

Wow -- 160 GIG for $70 BUCKS!?!? How long was that sale for?

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

lubedube, If your harddrive is less than 2 years old you might be able to get warantee on it(depends on the drive you bought). Go to matrox.com under warantee and input the Seria # and it would tell you if the drive is still under warantee or not. If it is then they will email you the RMA number and where to sent it to and they will sent you back a recertified hard drive of the same capacity. Give it a try, if it under warantee then you have a spare drive that you can hook up as a secondary hard drive and MORE space.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> Wow -- 160 GIG for $70 BUCKS!?!? How long was that sale for?
Through the week I think, they are going fast though and its a no rebate sale too. I got the last one at our store.

Twidget

Commander

I work on IBM networks/servers. They quit using their Deskstar drives for a while and replace them with Seagate or Maxtor. It felt sort of weird putting a different brand drive in one of their computers. :eek: :)