Parts Longevity

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought a used ski boat and motor in 2000 ( motor 1980 140hp). Everything ran great til 2004,at which time the engine would not charge and the tach would no longer work. Asking for advice from this site, I replaced the rectifier and my problems were solved. In 2006 an intermitent spark problem occured, and following advice from this site,I replaced the power packs, coils, and on somebody's advice checked the stator and timer base assemblies,which I also replaced, (had that gooey shellac like substance dripping down onto everything). Now this summer the tach won't work, checked the rectifier found it faulty,replaced it, now everything is working fine. Now my problem is do you think that this is the beginning of me having to replace all the parts that I previously mentioned again after only 2 summers worth of use.
The boat is used maybe 20 hrs. a summer tops.( no cottage so I have to trailor it everwhere)
Bailey

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Parts Longevity

if just by change, you crossed the battery cable to the wrong post, that immediately blows the recitifier. seems stupid, but a common occurance.

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tashasdaddy thanks for you input, I am very careful when recharging the battery, I always take it out of my boat prior to recharging it. A couple of things I should mention also. #1 I have an original "OMC" repair manual which I follow, #2 I use "sierra" replacement parts rather than "BRP", because they are cheaper (e.g. sierra rectifier 35.00, "BRP" rectifier 65.00).Was told years ago that most of the electrical parts are made in "Europe" anyway. Should I bite the bullet and use "BRP" oem parts when dealing with any type of electrical problems, your advice would be appreciated.

Bailey

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

There will be a reason your rectifier is failing. Check all the grounds and if you have wing nuts on the battery, lose them. As for those particular parts I prefer OE over Sierra and CDI over OEM.

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, can I ask why you recommend getting rid of the wing nuts?

I am curious as to why this is an issue, is it that they can get caught up with other parts?

Thanks

MS

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They have a habit of not staying tight. That can (does) lead to intermittent ground which can lead to problems. If they get loose, but still make connection, that can open the door for corrosion and bad connections.

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Parts longevity Part 2

Parts longevity Part 2

Judging by the replies so far about replacing a "shot" rectifier a few years ago didn't result in me having to replace (probably) all the "electrics" on the engine a short time after. Old age of the engine I guess or hope anyway was the cause for having to replace everything. I might as well enjoy my boat and motor now that it's running super. Would you fellows agree,or should I start budgeting now for any future problems that may occur.

Bailey

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

They have a habit of not staying tight. That can (does) lead to intermittent ground which can lead to problems. If they get loose, but still make connection, that can open the door for corrosion and bad connections.

Interestingly, I bought a new marine starting battery a few weeks ago at either Napa or Schucks and it came with hex nuts rather than wing nuts. For the past year or so, based on stuff I'd read here, I'd been tightening my wing nuts on the old battery with a pliers. At first I was irritated when i saw the hex nuts, but then I realized it was best and grabbed my open end wrench and tightened really tight.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this in a recent marine battery purchase?