How NOT to change oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

renken83

Cadet
I can't be the only one that has tried to change oil without a pump can I?

I figured I could syphon most of the oil, then get a foil pan under the oil pan and drain out the last quart or so. Ran tubing into the dipstick tube, through the drain plug out of the back of the boat and into a gallon jug on the ground. Started the syphon. Mmmmm, motor oil! Seemed to be going well. An hour later, had maybe a quart and a half drained. Why did I bother warming the oil up??? Close to 3hrs later, it looked like 3+quarts had syphoned out so onto part B of my plan. The bilge area isn't exactly flat so I skillfully positioned the bilge hose under one side of the foil pan to get it pretty level and unscrewed the oil drain plug. Looked good until it got a little weight in it and tipped...coincidentally as I was trying to pull it out and dumped oil onto the floor. I threw some paper towels into the drain plug hole to stop it from soaking my lawn and went into the house to get some cat litter. Well, the only cat litter we had was in the litter box (damn cat, why does it crap so much!) so I sifted what I could and went back out. Threw the litter down, used another roll of paper towels to clean up the incidental spills (some associated with the oil filter) and cleaned up the litter the next day. So, along with the other stuff I'd like to buy for the boat, an oil pump is at the top of the list :D Just an fyi, that scented cat litter did make the bilge area smell nice for a while...but my wife thought I had another woman on the boat with me :eek:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How NOT to change oil!

Ayuh,....

I did that, sorta, the 1st time I changed the oil in My tinboat....
I just dropped it All in the bilge,+ drained it out the back... It took FOREVER to finially get the bilge cleaned up.....

Good part was,....
That was also the day I was installing the Remote Drain Hose in the oil pan drain hole.....

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Screw on pump is a must. Also get a "bilge diaper". It will soak up the minor spills when taking the filter off.

bigshortz

Cadet

Sorry if this is a newb question, but what is this screw on pump you speak of ?

renken83

Cadet

Yeah, please specify what that and the remote drain hose is, please, please, please!

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Yeah, please specify what that and the remote drain hose is, please, please, please!

There is a kit available (so I've herd) that replaces the drain plug with a fitting and hose that can be pulled out through the bilge plug hole, The end of the hose has a removable plug for draining the oil. Simple, fast and no mess........................so I'm told...:)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Actually the link above only describes an oil change valve - you want the oil change hose. Like this:
26163_M1.jpg

Here's one place you can get it:
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...C_engines&cname=Oil-Changers-/-Filters&r=view

(I did a search on the Iboats store, but did not see one).

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You remove the stock oil drain plug, and screw the fitting from the hose there instead. The end of the hose is pulled out the bilge drain hole and there is a cap at the end of the hose. Remove the cap - drain the oil - replace cap - push hose back into the boat. Done.

The engine I have on my boat came with the hose like that from the factory, so Mercruiser thinks it is okay. ;)

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll have to give that a try, thanks. :D

wewefirex2x

Petty Officer 1st Class

That drain hose is awesome! I had mine installed last season. The hose has a drain plug fitting on one end which screws into the original drain plug location. At the other end of the hose is a fitting that can be unscrewed for oil changing purpose. The end that goes through the drain plug also has a drain plug hooked to it so you will never forget.

Uraijit

Banned

Just a hint for anybody who decides to install one of these things. There's no need to get oil all over your bilge when you install it. Have someone hold a shop vac against the oil fill opening, while you pull the plug and change it out for the hose.

It puts enough suction on the oil that it will not drain out, without sucking the oil into the vacuum cleaner.

We used to do this all the time when I worked as a mechanic. If someone came in with a leaking drain plug that needed a new gasket, or something like that, we could swap it out without dropping the oil.

;)

renken83

Cadet

Just a hint for anybody who decides to install one of these things. There's no need to get oil all over your bilge when you install it. Have someone hold a shop vac against the oil fill opening, while you pull the plug and change it out for the hose.

It puts enough suction on the oil that it will not drain out, without sucking the oil into the vacuum cleaner.

We used to do this all the time when I worked as a mechanic. If someone came in with a leaking drain plug that needed a new gasket, or something like that, we could swap it out without dropping the oil.

;)

No way! Does it matter the size of the shop vac? Being in a shop you probably had a 5hp or similar, not a little hang on the wall unit right? This just seems crazy enough I might try it. If it doesn't work, I'll send you a picture of me so you'll know who's knocking at your door:eek::D

cgrooves

Seaman

Fishermark-
Thanks for the link. I have one on the way. Should make next season's oil change a lot easier. I definitely prefer to drain out of the pan versus pump out of the dip stick tube.

Uraijit-
I will have to try the shop vac method. I'll be sure to have a back up pan / towel in place and remove the drain plug very gingerly...... just in case.

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking of trying the vacum think also, except with a pan under the engine that will hold all the oil, just in case. ;)

Bondo

Staff member

How does that work?

Ayuh,...

Slick as a Whistle,.... But Painfully Slooooow......

I adapted Mine so I can attach the Oil Pump to it,....
Now I can pull the hose out thru the bilgeplug,+ drain it in a few Minutes, Instead of a few Hours....
And,...
An added Plus is, I can pull the hose up along side the motor when at the Dock,+ Still change My Oil......

Btw,....
Another Slick Trick,....
Just crack Loose the Oil Filter with the wrench,...
Then slip a Baggie over the filter,+ spin it Off by hand,.....
No Mess at All that way.........
This works doing a Fuel Filter as Well,..... ;)

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the baggie works well.... i do that one, and another thing i do depending on what i got lying around is i pull a latex glove around the filter, crack it open and spin it down a few threads quickly, then i pull the glove up over the rest of the filter.

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have drained into the bildge and out the back for years... then degreaser. i have the motor pulled out of my new boat will install one of the drain hose kits before i put it back in. should save some time when it somes to changing oil. those hoses do make draining a little slow, but if you run it long enough to get the oil hot itll come out a lot faster..

Status
Not open for further replies.