evinrude 225 engine warning light

dperk1212

Recruit
I have a 1996 225 Vindicator. Just bought it a month ago. It had sat for a year, with one or two uses. Since I bought it, I have used it every weekend. And it ran great!! 45 MPH in a 210 Campion!
Last weekend, when I was coming out of the hole, and getting on plane, the engine alarm and warning light came on at 4000 rpm.,, it did this a couple times as I limped home,,, not wanting to blow it up.
It will go to full rpm I found,, but will lose power almost imediately after I get on plane.
I pulled the fuel filter off at the engine,, and yes there was some dirt and scale in it,, so I blew it out backwards and had good flow.
It IS using oil,, so I don't think it is my oil pump.
I am wondering if it is an in-tank fuel filter,,,,,, but am VERY open to any suggestions as to a less expensive fix than taking it into the shop.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: evinrude 225 engine warning light

start with basics, compression and spark check, all cylinders, if you are doing your own repairs, go to dealer and order the original service manual.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

After sitting for a year I would have cleaned the carbs and repalced the water pump before it hit the water. However, if the alarm stops if you pull back on the throttle it's probably a fuel restriction. If it's overheating it'll go into SLOW and the rpms will be restricted to about 2500 or so no matter how much throttle you apply.

Dexloy

Seaman

I had an issue with some drill chips in my fuel tank pluging the wire screen at the top of the tank it was causing a fuel restriction and would sound the alarm. Pull the elbow off the tank and look in the pick up tube. might be crap in the screen.

TheMFA

Cadet

Just to piggy back on this if possible, but I have a 1998 115hp Evinrude. Took it out Friday with no issues other than getting in lake grass, big learning experience, then took it out Saturday on the bay and was fine halfway through the trip then the engine alarm came on about four times. The engine never lost power and water flow was fine. Being that we were close to our destiation we continued on. On the return trip the engine alarm never went off.

Any clues as to why it would come on at one point but not come on again?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dperk, The check engine alarm is a gasoline restriction on that motor. Check clean or remove the antisiphon valve from the gas tank, if you cannto fix it by cleaning fuel filters and eliminating air leaks from the fuel line.

MFA, That motor has the ability to have a Check Engine Tacho on it. Your motor will have seperate alarms for overheat, low oil and no oil. You should figure out what the specific problem you are having.