looking for tilt cylinder or parts

rice

Seaman Apprentice
i am not sure if this kind of post is allowed or not. if not please delete.

hi again everyone. i am looking for either a complete tilt cylinder or just the piston head. all i really need is the piston head and it is smaller to ship. it is for my 1989 85 horse force. if anyone has any ideas of where to maybee find this part it would be much appreciated. thanks again

EDIT: It is okay to ask for referral, but not to offer to buy, JB

Last edited by a moderator:

RRitt

Captain
Re: looking for tilt cylinder or parts

i am not sure if this kind of post is allowed or not. if not please delete.

hi again everyone. i am looking for either a complete tilt cylinder or just the piston head. all i really need is the piston head and it is smaller to ship. it is for my 1989 85 horse force. if anyone has any ideas of where to maybee find this part it would be much appreciated. thanks again

when you say piston head do you mean head assembly or piston? Head assembly might also be called top cover.

Last edited by a moderator:

rice

Seaman Apprentice

i really only need the piston, the part with the 3 release valves. i could screw it on to my existing "piston rod" inside the cylinder. but a complete tilt assy would be ok too. thanks again

RRitt

Captain

i really only need the piston, the part with the 3 release valves. i could screw it on to my existing "piston rod" inside the cylinder. but a complete tilt assy would be ok too. thanks again

i don't have any idea.

if you gave me 5 new pistons then I could fix 5 more tilt cylinders in the shop. So, in my book, you may as well need a whole new ram.

rice

Seaman Apprentice

any chance you know where to find a whole new ram? or used one?

RRitt

Captain

maybe you can find someone who has them new through iboats or dealers. part # is 819108F. I doubt you'll find it though. That seems like a part likely to be NLA. You might find it on ebay. You may also locate it as an evinrude johnson part. It is same as the tilt only EJ from early 1980's. It would cost you about $70 to send yours in and about $100 to swap it out. Ebay and a healthy dose of patience is probably your best bet. Sooner or later you'll find one that you can canabilize for parts for 20-30.

rice

Seaman Apprentice

ya i figure it might be a while. i might never get around to it. if you come across something let me know. thanks again rritt and everyone for all the help

rice

Seaman Apprentice

just curious if anyone who knows where to get the part i am after might have missed this thread. so many new ones it gets pushed off of the front page quickly. thanks

RRitt

Captain

try evinrude johnson dealer. part # 0172596
chrysler/force dealer part# F17562-1

i believe the threads on piston shaft are different for the early power tilt systems but it may be worth checking. F17534

and finally, a piston from a whole different system that may or may not work. It is prestolite tilt so i would give it at least 50/50 chance. F17580

good luck. i think you need it. you're probably better off watching ebay for an entire tilt ram than trying to hunt down a part like that.