175 jonrude sluggish out of hole...HELP !!!

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks,
I have a once appon a time 1998 Johnson Ficht. After it blew for the second time I had a new 2004 175 evinrude pwerhead installed and the engine is now a carbed faststrike. The Ficht only had 256 hours on it including a ten hour break in. When I first got it back and ran it I was very impressed . It is mounted to a 481 ranger and it will roll at 65mph by my GPS and I am not all the way into it. Here is my problem, on the last several trips to the lake I have noticed the hole shot getting more and more sluggish progressivly. Now if I press the hot foot quickly the engine chokes down and dies altogether. I have to crank up and slowly , slowly raise my RPM to about 2000, then try and gently put her in forward. Yes I know that is not good for the lower unit. I could never pull a skier this way if I wanted too. This motor did not do this at first when it was built, it ran good. NOTE... For some reason the shop that built it did not realize that a ranger 481 has two fuel tanks and when they installed me a new oil resevoir into it's compartment they dumped the oil that was in the old tank into just one of the fuel tanks... the whole oil tank ! They were then worried that I might have some problems, so we tried to even out it's use but I really think I was using too much oil in my gas for my break in. Guys am I on the right track? Could I use Ring Free or something to clean out my low speed jets? I am wondering if I have buildup in them. Or am I looking at a VRO problem perhaps. I have also changed out my spark plugs and checked my fuel filter as well as installing a new primer bulb. I am going to go to the lake this weekend to figure this out. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Darren Mac.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 175 jonrude sluggish out of hole...HELP !!!

At the first sign of a performance problem always test spark quality to ensure that you do not have an ignition problem.

Once that passes the test (it's quick and easy) it is time test compression to ensure the motor is mechanically sound (another quick and easy test).

Now the dirty work, remove the carbs, disassemble, clean spotlessly, blow carb cleaner thru EVERY orifice and passage followed by compressed air. Reassemble and adjust following the directions spelled out in the factory manual.

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 175 jonrude sluggish out of hole...HELP !!!

Thanks Charlie B ,
My motor cranks fine and idles, when I can get it up to plane there is plenty of power. I assume that there is no problem with ignition but I am not sure I Know what I am looking for there. I do have the service manual so I am going to take down the carbs and clean them. I appreciate the tips. Darren Mac