Volvo Penta Water Leak/overheating

sdrd01

Recruit
I have a 1993 Volvo Penta 230B inboard/outboard. This summer it is running what seems kind of hot - 200 degrees to 220 degrees F. Had the timing belt replaced recently, and there seems to be drips of water leaking when I rev the engine over 2000 rpm, or have the engine under load. Try as hard as I can, I cannot see where the leak is coming from, but it appears to be from behind the sea-water pump. Questions: 1) could this relatively slight leak be affecting the engine temp; 2) is there some type of seal on the sea-water pump shaft that could be leaking? 3) what temp should this engine run at -- I seem to have always had temps around 200 degrees in the past (though i get nervous now when it moves up to 220)... otherwise, the engine seems to run fine, and cools to 200 when I'm idling.

Lastly, what is the diff between the model 230A and model 230B engine? Is the 230B the same thing as the AQ131B?

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Water Leak/overheating

The leak may not be the overheat problem due to loss of water, but the pump could be sucking air from that same leak, and that WILL cause a problem.
Just remove the pump, repair, or replace it. There is a seal on the shaft.
The 131 and the 230's are basically the same engine with minor differences. Never compared them part by part to be able to say what all is different.

Robj

Lieutenant

I have the same type of engine and yes they do tend to run warm even when everything is working correctly. I also had to replace the seal at the rear of my raw water pump. It is an easy fix. Try it and see if it solves your problem. While you are at it, might as well change the raw water pump as well.

Have a great day,

Rob.

sdrd01

Recruit

When you say "change the raw water pump as well" do you mean buy a new one? They run about $350 don't they? Shouldn't I try to just change the shaft seal first to see if the leak stops?

Also, do I need to replace the thermostat? Don't think I ever have in 15 years, so I suppose I should anyway... but could that be an issue given the overheating?

Thanks guys.

Robj

Lieutenant

When you say "change the raw water pump as well" do you mean buy a new one? They run about $350 don't they? Shouldn't I try to just change the shaft seal first to see if the leak stops?

Also, do I need to replace the thermostat? Don't think I ever have in 15 years, so I suppose I should anyway... but could that be an issue given the overheating?

Thanks guys.

Yep I would change the thermostat as well, especially if it has not been changed.

Sorry, I guess I should have made my self clearer, I meant the impeller, and the seal, not the entire water pump.

There are a lot of potential causes to your overheating issue. When was the manifold changed? Engine coolant flushed? The water intake tube on the outdrive changed? These are all potential causes. Try the obvious first, and see if that does the trick. If not then start digging deeper.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Have a great day,

Rob.

sdrd01

Recruit

I replaced the thermostat, rubber seal on the impeller shaft (on back side of sea-water pump), and the two gaskets on the two pipes coming into and out of the sea-water pump.

This stopped the leak from behind the pump. Engine now registers about 190 degrees during idle, and and about 205 degrees under load. Much better.

I have a small leak from the area where the pipes come into the pump, but I can likely fix this with some gasket material.

Thanks for the advice all.