1959 Evinrude 35hp Lark

Thanks to all who have helped me so far in attempting to get this old motor running, and now, in identifying exactly what it is that I do have.

I was lead to photos by a member, Steve Ott, who also e-mailed me a proper electrical diagram. Letting me know that mine is NOT wired as per specs, and has been jerry rigged some. I don't think that will be a problem, but I think I need a new solenoid!!!

Also, with the help of freddyray21, I've learned a bit more about outboard coils and points and magnetos. I think I probably fried the coils and or points when I incorrectly connected the magneto cutoff wires to the battery... OOOPS. So.. time to dig in and fix that.

I did some looking at the actual outboard, and discovered what looked like some sort of tags under the front of the motor, covered with several layers of paint. A little gasoline, and ether, and naptha, and BOOM, I could read the build plate. It's a Model 35517, verifying that I indeed have a 1959 35hp, Lark.

As I got this thing cheap, I was a little concerned after hearing of others who had swapped the covers onto smaller, or newer motors. But I'm happy to know that that didn't happen to me.

I'm now looking for a source for coils, and points, and whatever tidbits I should probably replace on a motor this old. So.. input is greatly appreciated, as is any advice from old salts, and things NOT to do, like uhm.. connecting the cutoff wires to a battery. My fault. I did it before I even found iBoats.

Thanks for the help so far, and I'll be coming back for more.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1959 Evinrude 35hp Lark

Tid-bit...don't run out and buy a car solenoid. They are not the same as the OMC solenoid, and if you wire it (car solenoid) according to the diagram you will burn the wire off the mercury safety switch in a nano-second. And you can't solder it back on. You can get the proper solenoid here at iboats too.

CATransplant

Admiral

Next step is a service manual. Seriously. The factory manual is best, but you can do most common jobs using the Seloc manual that covers your outboard.

There are just too many ways to ruin stuff without a manual, as you found with your coils. Odds are they needed replacing, anyhow, but...the manual will be the best investment you make.

Thanks to all for the help and direction. Did a lot of searching, and I agree that using the proper marine solenoid is probably my best bet. Also, found several sources for coils, and it appears that iboats is the best deal, even when factoring in shipping, and the best deal on a manual, which I agree again, would be a REAL good idea. As I don't want any more "mistakes" that will cost me time, and money. I have always believed in the measure twice, cut once philosophy, and working on anything electrical/mechanical, "should" be no different. I just got impatient, and made a mistake. Something I'm sure we can all relate to at some point or another. Anyway. Thanks again for all the great advice, and I look forward to continuing to work on this ole boat, and get it into shape the right way :)

Last edited:

in the words of Frankenstein's Doctor... "It's ALIVE"

Got the new coils today, and the new proper solenoid, wired everything up, got stuff back together, checked the lower end oil, and replaced, put the prop in a bucket, squirted some oil in the cylinders, turned it over with the cutoff switch wires connected, disconnected the cutoff switch wires, added fuel line (pre mixed at 25 to 1), set the choke on, squeezed the bulb three times, set the idle at 1 and a half turns out, set the throttle at 1/2 (old trick from cars... can't help it), hit the horn switch wired to my starter solenoid circuit, and she fired RIGHT UP!!! (ok.. third try really, as I let go of the horn switch too soon the first two times.

YEAH!!!

now I just gotta fix the fiberglass, cut and bed new stringers, put in the floor, reconnect the steering, and I'm on my way!!!

yeah right.

so it'll take me some time, but I've got further motivation now that my motor runs.

Thanks for all the help so far, and I'll be coming back for more questions I'm certain.

freddyray21

Commander

make sure you change the impeller if you haven't already. It needs to pump water good. Even if it is pumping now if you don't know how long it's been since the impeller was changed change it.

from what I hear, from you, and others, I think that'd be a real good idea. There was some h20 coming from the pee tube, but I honestly have no idea when it was last changed. I think it'd be a good security measure. What all is entailed in changing the impeller? I assume it's in the lower unit? Perhaps there's a good tutorial with some pictures on this site? I'll start looking.

Thanks
Chris

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Disconnect the shift linkage, which may be behind an access plate on the starboard side of the midsection. The manual will tell you where. Then remove the bolts holding the lower unit to the midsection. The lower unit should slide off straight down. The water pump is right on top of the lower unit.

thanks for the help tx whaler... guessing there's a reason for the 1961? either you've got a whaler that old, or you're that old :) not sure which. Anyway. Still don't have a manual.. but I know the local library has it, and I'll be there tomorrow. As to disconnecting the shift linkage... anything like an automatic shift linkage on a car with cotter pins and what not?

As to the impeller itself... just curios if there is any difference, other than price, for the sierra verses the mallory impeller. I've heard of mallory before, in car stuff, but I don't know anything about sierra. Am I alone in this? or is sierra a good "boat" name. Any advice would be great, as saving a couple bucks never hurts, unless it's crud and I should pop the extra few bucks for a better quality part.

Thanks
Chris

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

That's great it fired up :) The impeller is easy to change. As mentioned, remove the little cover plate halfway down and remove the lower screw completely (don't drop it inside!) the remove the bolts holding the LU on (6 hex's I believe on that model) then it will lower out. It will be heavy so be prepared for the weight. Then just unscrew the water pump cover and swap out the impeller. Personally I use try to use OMC impellers only (unless they are not available) as for a few bucks it could fry your entire engine if it fails unlike any other part. Someone did report on this forum a while back that their Sierra impeller had spun off the hub and failed but I think it was a 1 off as others have had no issues with them. Not sure about Mallory though.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

1961 is the Whaler year (13 footer). I'm a slightly newer model, but dad bought it new. It's been "mine" since I was 10 (1974).

Samo, thank's for the info on the impeller replacement procedure, not sure what little cover plate you are referring to, but I know there is some little plate with two screws and a little mesh screen... is that what you are referring to? And yes, it has 6 hex bolts, and thanks for the warning about the weight. Are we talking half the outboard weight? or kinda like a car starter wieght? As to the OMC replacement, I haven't seen any, just the sierra and the mallory, but I haven't ordered yet, so I'll keep looking.

Tx Whaler... I like your statement about being a slightly newer model... made me laugh. I have tremendous respect for keeping any vehicle in the family for so long. I've had my old caddy, a 60, since 2000, and know it's story since "birth" in detroit. I think that's part of why folks get into "older" vehicles, to share the story. A machine is just a machine, but once it's used... it means something more.