Another Tragedy On The Water

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/08/four_killed_in_st_john_boating.html

The death count is now up to five - the missing person was found at 7am this morning. It is known that the skipper of the larger vessel had not been drinking but, since the driver of the smaller boat is not known, toxicology was delayed. I suppose, at some point, they will just test all of the bodies if they can't figure out who was driving.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another Tragedy On The Water

Zigged when he shoulda zagged. Sad, but people should learn how to drive.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Tragic.....but what happened to "pass port to port" ????

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

On top of that^^^^^Would you not power down at some point??:confused::confused:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, there's not a whole lot of stuff on the water that stopping doesn't fix . . .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Premeditated negligence. :(

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

On top of that^^^^^Would you not power down at some point??:confused::confused:

Absolutely right with that one. Evasive action and losing speed can be the difference. Regarding the passing port to port, the only time when I have passed that way closely is going through the marker buoys in a channel and then we are all generally crawling along. I usually change course if there is any doubt as to what the "other guy" is doing. I also raise my arm and give a hand signal as to the direction I am going to take if necessary.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

These accidents happen here far too often. The entirety of South Louisiana is a maze of bayous, both natural and man made, so its much like driving on "aquatic roads," with lots of blind spots and no stop signs. What typically happens is that a couple of boats will being going in opposite directions while approaching an intersection, as was the case here, but won't see each other until the last second. Between boat speed, inablility to see one another, and lack of seamanship/experience, the helmsmen often are startled and don't instinctively swerve to starboard.

Really a shame - five young people lost and one still in critical condition in the hospital.

D

DJ

I used to live in LaPlace and boated the Blind River weekly.

I could see how this happened. It's a big river but there are a lot of blind turns (no pun intended).

Speed and lack of knowledge were at fault here, I'll bet.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

DJ, it was at the intersection of Blind River and Alligator Bayou.

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm a new boater, so I'm just thinking too hard maybe. but wouldn't instinct work better if the helm was on the port of the boat the same as with American cars? I have taken the basic navigation's courses, but haven't the experience to say it is instinctive yet. but driving is and much of the rules are about the same except that we sit on the starboard.