Shore power cable gets hot

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I noticed the boat end of my shore power cable had a melt/burn mark in the rubber from one of the three recepticle prongs coming out of the boat.I turned off the a/c and the prong cooled.Anyone have experience with this??? I plan on taking the 30 amp recepticle off the side of the boat and inspecting the connections.Tried a new cable and same results.Have been using the same electrics for years with no problem.Charlie

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Shore power cable gets hot

That's a dangerous condition! Even with the A/C running it shouldn't get hot. My Silverton has a single 30A inlet and I run my 16,500BTU A/C all the time without any heat build-up.
Remove the receptacle and look at the boat's shorepower receptacle connections. Chances are good you'll find corrosion or burns on the connector ends. You need to clean 'em well or replace the whole thing. I know of a number of yachts that caught fire from this condition, so you need to fix it ASAP.
Good luck.

hard-3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My Guess is you will find the receptical has corrosion on the contacts replace the receptical and if the plug is not clean replace it also. go to Lowes or home depot or any electriacal supply place and get a small tube of no-ox and coat the prongs of the plug with to keep out corrosion and water this will help prevent it from occuring again.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the replies guys!!! Thats the way I was thinking.Just wanted to see if anyone had the same condition.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Both of you guys were correct.I replaced the entire inlet.Corrosion and a burn/melted connection.Hope thats all there is to it.Charlie