Engine Trouble? Flooded?

adidas4862

Cadet
I just bought a 1995 Bayliner 1750 LS, I took it out for the first time this past saturday. I put it in the water and it started right up. After about an hour or so of riding around, we started tubing, I shut the engine off a couple of times so people could climb back in the boat.

After about 2 times of shutting it off it started right back up, on the third time when i went to start it it would not turn over... I thought the engine could have been flooded... I waited about 15 mins then tried again still wouldnt turn... sounded like it wanted to but never did. I removed the air cleaner/filter from the top of the carbs let it sit and in 15 mins started right back up. through out the day i had to do this to get it running. Would any one have a clue why this would happen?

Its a Mercruiser 3.0 135HP pretty sure its the alpha series.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Engine Trouble? Flooded?

When you run a boat hard, and it has a carb. you have to let it idle for 2-3 minutes before shutting it down.

When you start it back up you have to let it idle 2-3 minutes before you run it hard.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

adidas4862

Cadet

So after tubing, skiing, and other things the run the motor hard just leave it in neutral for 2-3 mins before turning it off. when i turn it off should i also turn the switch to off under the throttle handle?

Then when i start it again let it idle for 2-3 mins before I take off again? I am new to this and understanding how the boat works... any other tips or any websites where i can get a manuel for the motor or the boat?

Thanks!

chiefalen

Captain

Just turn the ignition switch off leave the kill switch under the throttle alone.

It's a alpha gen. 2. Maybe Don will come by and give you the link to the manual.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

chiefalen

Captain

Maybe someone else has the manual for you to d/l.