'94 Evinrude 250 starting problem

Born_BoNY

Recruit
I have a 1994 Evinrude 250 with about 800 hrs on it. I have owned this motor for about 6 months, but bought it from someone that owned and maintained it for the past 10 years. It has started and ran flawlessly more than a dozen time, until a few weeks ago. This is when I decided to rewire the guages. At the time, the speedo, tach, fuel, trim, temp and voltage guages were not working. After the rewire, none of the guages are working.

My new problem is the motor will not continue to run after starting. For a cold start, I prime the fuel bulb, then turn the key while engaging the push choke. After a few turns, the motor starts. After about 10 seconds, it will quit. I can repeatedly get the motor to turn over and run for 10 seconds, by both engaging the choke or not. If I try to put the motor in gear (fwd or rev.) it will bog down and quit.

On one occasion (a few days ago), I put the boat in the water and after 4 or 5 attempts of starting and the motor dying after 10 seconds, it stayed started. At the time, I was jiggling the key, thinking the choke was stuck closed. I took my chances and cruised around the harbor a bit... boat ran great. I opened up the throttle on the lake and pushed 40mph. The entire time, the motor was smooth. I stopped and restarted the motor without issue.

I tested the motor again the next day and could not keep in running again.

So, I am at the point of taking things apart, but wanted some advice first. Could it be a problem with the choke sticking shut? If yes, do I first suspect the selonoid or the ignition switch, or the linkage? Or (but hopefully not) is it possible that while rewiring the guages I have something crossed which affects a signal going back to the motor (say the temp)?

I am a new boater, but understand motors and the way they operate pretty well. Any advice or helping to point me in the right direction is appreciated.

Robert

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: '94 Evinrude 250 starting problem

First, the motor does not have a choke but rather a primer system. If you believe the primer is sticking open and flooding the motor there are a couple of things to look at. The red valve on the primer solenoid should be parallel with the body. This is the normal run position.

Once verified you can carefully pull one of the small hoses off - be very careful, those tiny nipples break easily. If fuel is passing thru the solenoid without the key being pushed in, the solenoid is leaking or by-passing. With the line off and not messing with the key pump the bulb. No fuel should come out.

If the primer is OK it could be dirty carbs.

It's interesting that the gauges were not working before or after the rewire. If you think the running issues are related to the wiring you did, just unhook the large red cannon plug and see if the motor runs. You'll have to jump the starter solenoid and there will be no way to shut it off other than flooding it with the red lever on the primer so make sure you have water to it.

By any odd chance, are you trying to run it with the airbox cover off?

Born_BoNY

Recruit
Re: '94 Evinrude 250 starting problem

Thank you Hadley. I called it a choke because is says "push to choke", but understand. I checked the red valve on the primer solenoid and it is at the 6 o'clock position - parallel with the body of the motor.

I removed the hose from the solenoid, pumped the bulb until full and did not observe any fuel leaking. Additionally, there is no smell of fuel in the motor itself.

I did isolate all other electronics on the boat and went motor and battery. I did this while on the lake. I did not make a difference in how it started and how long it continued to run. With motor to battery only, the motor would start and run for about 10 seconds, and then die.

I am sensing this is a fuel problem. If I prime the bulb until it is hard, then attemp the start the motor a few times, the bulb becomes empty... maybe it has a small hole in the bulb or hose assembly? Is it possible it could be sucking air and starving for fuel? After a few start attempts, I will have to pump the bulb again (just 2 or 3 times).

I am running with the airbox cover on.

I think next step is to check the carbs. Any other suggestions?

Appreciate the time.

Robert

By the way, it is an evinrude 200, not 250 as stated in the title.... guess I was just dreaming.....