Rookie needs help with 5.5 Evinrude carb

MGC

Cadet
I just rebuilt the carb on my 1961 Evinrude Fisherman. It seemed simple enough and it was necessary. The old cork float was a mess. But, it used to run, now it does not. I have pulled it back out and re-checked the float. That is in right as far as I can tell. I did attach the little spring to it and that all seems to work fine. I have the slow and fast jets threaded out 1 1/2 turns to try and get it to go. I was real careful about cleaning and I think I got it done right
If I pull long enough gas seeps out of the silencer. So I pulled the silencer off to see what going on and it looks like everything is OK. The linkages are hooked up right. But all of that said, it seems like there is no gas going to the cylinders. Now what?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rookie needs help with 5.5 Evinrude carb

Bear in mind that most carburetor problems....aren't. Check your compression and if that's OK, check the ignition. On a '61 you very well could have bad coils.

You did replace that bad float, right? If you are choking and cranking so much that it is dripping gas out the silencer, there is no way it isn't getting to the cylinders. 1 1/2 turns on the fast is a bit much, but it should at least start and run rich. Try 3/4 - 1 turn next time.