Any experience with cold-shrink tape?

towtruck1

Seaman
Hello

Does anyone out there have any experience with cold-shrink tape? It seems like what I need for a repair, but I am unsure, and would be happy to hear from anyone about it.

Thanks!

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Any experience with cold-shrink tape?

Can't sat that I have ever used cold shrink tape. I jave used hot shrink tape before. What are you doing with it?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have used rubber tape before and about a year ago I used some of the new silicone tape and that was real rugged. It all depends on how tight you pull it while wrapping. They say that the silicone will stop a water leak.

I know that the rubber or silicone are both good for electric.

as asked before.... what use?

towtruck1

Seaman

I was thinking of using it to solve the following problem:

From my post in another category:

My Q:
"The Oil Level Sensor does not stay stuck in the top of the oil tank, and oil will spill out when trailering etc. What I see is just a rubber-type cap/plug with the wires coming out the side of the cap-part and nothing to hold it into the top of the tank, except maybe some 'barbs' in the plug-part. It looks like the barbs might hold it in if the diameter of the plug was larger, but it all fits very loosely. It looks just like what is pictured in a parts catalog, so I am at a loss as to why it doesn't stay in (or why it even should).

Tohatsu Guru's Reply:
"The rubber part of the sensor has shrunk with age. The solution is to replace the sensor or to just slop sealant on the one you have."

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=269755

My thinking is that if I can simply get the cap to stay firmly on the top, I would get enough of a sealing effect. I would prefer not to use something that might eventually end up inside the tank and contaminate the oil. The opening that the cap goes into has a bit of a neck, below it, such that something would tightly around that might suffice to anchor anything tending to pull down on the cap from there.

My other thought was to use aircraft safety wire, wrapped around the neck, and then tied across the top.
http://s539.photobucket.com/albums/ff352/towtruck07/?action=view&current=cap.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member

Honestly.... I would replace the plug. For a temporary fix I would wrap a bungee cord around the tank and maybe zip tie it to the plug to keep it in place.

Someone suggested sealant but that would be pretty permanent in my book......

Just buy a new plug.

BTW real rubber will swell and loosen when contacted with oil products and it is tough to predict what could happen with whatever you try.

towtruck1

Seaman

Yeah...

I'd love to just replace it. Its not just a plug though. It's the whole oil-level sensor. Don't know what it costs, cause I still haven't found anyone who will give me a price. The dealers around here are pretty unresponsive, as was the one online dealer i tried.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Well if you want to use sealant ....... that piece will need to be extra clean and dry

I would probably use Goop, Shoe Goo or maybe 5200 and let it sit 24 hrs or so before you touch it to set up.

towtruck1

Seaman

Actually, I'd prefer NOT to use sealant. I was hoping the cold shrink would simply told the cap on tight enough. I'm sure the aircraft safety wire trick will work if the cold-shrink tape doesn't.

Bob_VT

Staff member

DING!!! A light just came on in my head. Get a Bicycle tube and cut yourself a section to use as a collar to hold the plug captive to the tank. I have used inner tubes for a number of projects.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

try some perfect seal..... works great

towtruck1

Seaman

Bob_VT

You are a genius and a prophet.

Genius, because that is a great idea. I was trying to come up with some sort of idea for a 'bushing', but I just didn't get there.

Prophet, because you have just proved again that we never throw away something we've been keeping around until just before we actually need it. Those two old inner-tubes went out last week. I'll have to stop at the local bike shop and beg for a holy tube!

Thanks again.

Coors

Captain

I bought some gas tank sealer from Ace Hdwe for my chainsaw, it worked great.