Part availability early 60s 5.5

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking about purchasing an early 60s 5.5 Johnson Outboard. I am wonder what part availabilty is like for these? It was supposedly completely refurbished not too long ago but I want to be sure I will be able to make future fixes.

Thank You!

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Part availability early 60s 5.5

Thanks for the response! But "most" is not 100%. What wouldn't be available?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you would have to get a parts manual, and compare to new parts. all the point,condeners,coils, carb kits, water pump are available. knobs, handles, that kind of stuff you have to scrounge for. if it is a solid motor, the general up keep items are available.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hard parts like an exhaust housing, stuff like that, would generally not be available, or outrageously expensive if they are. However there are tons of parts motors out there and used parts are plentiful.
Normal service parts for ignition/fuel/cooling systems are still available both from the mfr/dealers and aftermarket like here at iboats.

Edit: Oh, forgot to say, sometimes you will run across something that is no longer available, but should be. I'm thinking here of the rubber cap for the propeller. It's no longer available from OMC/BRP but there are a few at obsolete parts dealers.

ebry710

Ensign

Hard parts like an exhaust housing, stuff like that, would generally not be available, or outrageously expensive if they are. However there are tons of parts motors out there and used parts are plentiful.
Normal service parts for ignition/fuel/cooling systems are still available both from the mfr/dealers and aftermarket like here at iboats.

I agree.

For hard to find parts, I usually scan eBay.

You can always buy a similar engine and cannibalize it for hard to find parts.

JasonAych

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone! Big help in making the decision :)