perfect height of outboard for a boat.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have a few pictures of a perfectly mounted outboard on a boat. Prefereably 30hp-60hp side on views and from the back. Just want to get an idea of the perfect height. Pictures only as it would make it easier for me to keep and show people etc. Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: perfect height of outboard for a boat.

Ally this boat is set even with the keel and inline with the bottom, performs perfectly. but boats are different. some perform better 1/2, 1 , 1 1/2 inches higher, this is the reason newer motor have several mounting holes. i have an older motor that likes being lower, and a bigger motor that likes being higher. could not get pics of them.
this is a 1993 40 hp Johnson.

avplateheight003.jpg

avplateheight002.jpg

avplateheight001.jpg

mthieme

Captain

The cavitation plate should be even with the keel. It looks like you are 2-3" high.

tashasdaddy

the level is on under the cav plate. this one is even with the keep. you can see the cav plate on right of picture. hard to take pics and hold level at same time.

allymoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so my aim is to make the lower plate be inline with the keel and then adjust and test to find the best one.

tashasdaddy

you got it. also experiment with the angle of the motor, with the tilt pin.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As said each set up is unique. My motor is about a half inch above but I think it could come up another half to one inch. Will be experimenting again next season. Just make certain that it will still draw the cooling water it needs.