Upgrading from 12/24v to 24v MotorGuide

glangston

Recruit
I currently have a dead 12/24v Motorguide trolling motor on a 1991 Ranger 363V. The 12/24v was working properly on this motor before it died.

When I was disconnecting the trolling motor plug I noticed it had 3 wires going to the trolling motor. The plug is the standard 4 prong Ranger plug.

I am now wanting to install a 24v MotorGuide. It only has 2 wires going to the plug. After wiring the plug, it seems to be running slower than it should. I figure it is only running on 12v.

What do I need to do to my wiring at the frontend and/or battery compartment to correctly connect this motor with 24v?

I currently have 2 batteries with the +/- leads going to a breaker. The batteries are not jumpered together. All wiring is original wiring from Ranger.

I also have a 2 bank charger connected to these batteries, if that affects anything.

I wanted to check with you guys before I really screwed something up.

Thanks in advance.
GLangston

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Upgrading from 12/24v to 24v MotorGuide

You are running on 12 volts, not 24. Does your boat have a 12/24 selector switch on the panel where the troller plug is located. If it does, that switch needs to be set to 24V and you need to verify which two pins on the connector deliver 24 volts. You then need to make sure the two pins on the torller plug match the +24 and ground connection on the receptacle. But there is an easier way to do this. It looks like that below. Wire directly to the receptacle as you will no longer need the 12/24 switch or the RUN/CHARGE switch if you have one.

24VTrollerWiring.jpg

You simply disconnect the wires from one battery at the front of the boat and at the battery they were connected to (the battery on the left in the diagram). Tape them as they will not be used. Leave the red wire from the other battery POS in place. Disconnect the black wire from that battery and connect it to the NEG terminal of the second battery. Connect a jumper between the POS of the battery on the left and the NEG of the battery on the right. You should now measure 24V across the red and black wires at the front of the boat. All you need to do now is match the red and black wires on the troller plug to the red and black wires on the troller receptacle. Go fishing. This process should not take more than 1/2 hour to accomplish.

glangston

Recruit

Your explanation makes since. I will rewire as your described.

I do not have a 12/24 switch, if that changes anything.

Do I leave the onboard charger wired to each battery as they are currently wired?

Are all the other electronics powered by these batteries safe?

Thanks for the help!

GLangston

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can leave the charger wired directly to the batteries IF the charger has dual, isolated outputs. If you are powering 12V accessories, you MUST disconnect them from the Red and Black wires going to the front of the boat as those wires now carry 24 volts. You MUST connect 12V accessories directly to either battery but preferably the battery on the left. You could use the two wires you disconnected to feed 12V to the front of the boat. Just connect the back end of that pair to the battery on the left. Connect your accessories at the front of the boat to the other end of that pair. Lack of a 12/24 or Run/Charge switch doesn't change anything. In fact it makes the job easier.