Petty Officer 1st Class
Some people are lucky.<br /><br /><br />
outboard.jpg
story1.jpg
story2.jpg

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1920's treasure

Just watch the johnnyrude forum for this thread: <br />"Need help identifying my motor" <br />"Can anybody tell me what HP or what year this motor is? Can't find the model number, but the serial number is 1."<br /><br />or this:<br />"My motor may have ingested some water"<br />"Please help me start my motor - it's been underwater for about 75 years...."<br /><br />Bet it would bring 6 figures at auction running or not.

dolluper

Captain

So thats the big one all those fisher people have been taking about that always broke their line, awful nice catch there boy

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Did it really sit on the bottom for 70+ years?<br />How do they know it wasn't lost last summer? If it's in such great shape.....? Just because it's a '20's motor doesn't mean it was lost when it was brand new. Enquiring minds wanna know ;)

KaGee

Admiral

That's some Gator he got there!<br /><br />Better to be lucky than good! I can see it now... instead of a bunch of 'ole farts going around with metal detectors, they'll be on the water with Vexalar's looking for all that good treasure. :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Wow not to far from me, first Ive heard about it. Pretty cool though.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Not to dampen the joy,but the 4 cylinder super Elto was in the 83000 numbers already.So no # 1 there.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Who wants to bet that Phatmanmike wont be trying to buy it?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The iron is hot. Time to eBay it!<br /><br />I have a 1Hp Sea King made by Evinrude with serial number 99 (model 469). What do you spose that's worth? It doesn't run, but I'm sure I could get it to fairly easily. :)

rwise

Captain

looks like a keeper to me! you think he at least tried to get the water out ot it, or is letting it spoil?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The serial number would have been stamped in the ID tag on the gas tank, which appears to be missing. The motor is a 1928 Quad, as identified by the "star" shaped pattern on the exhaust housing. They are a fun motor to run and make quite a racket!<br /> As for value, they're not terribly rare, but they are fairly desireable. I don't think this guy should be thinking he just found his retirement fund on the bottom of the lake...<br />- Scott

SoulWinner

Commander

From what I understand about early outboard motors, I am guessing there is good reason it was on the bottom of a lake. I hear they make better anchors than modes of propulsion.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I’m thinking that SoulWinner is right on this one. Someone probably used it as an anchor and ether didn’t want to lug it around anymore or it just got hung up and broke free of the line. I have known more that one guy that used old outboards as anchors. I have used cinder blocks; milk jugs full of concrete, spoke wheels off an old hay wagon. Just because something is old don’t make it valuable. If that were the case then LubeDude would be worth a small fortune. :D :D

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

The anchor theory was my secont thought. Looking at the transom clamps they are almost wide open so my first thought was <br /><br />"VRRRRMMMMMM...pop...pop... sputter....sieze...."<br /><br />Unscrew clamps push it overboard and grab the oars.<br /><br />Still a pretty cool find.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update,,,,,,<br /><br />
He's 88, lives in Elk River and has a 75-year-old tale to tell.<br /><br />Kemper has unraveled the mystery of the antique outboard motor that Rich Boedigheimer of Big Lake pulled through the ice recently while fishing on Little Pine Lake near Perham.<br /><br />I wrote about Boedigheimer's find last week. He was fishing with a friend, Robbie Yeager of Minneapolis, in an ice-fishing house last month when he lowered his underwater video camera into the water and spotted the old motor lying on the lake bottom. With much effort, the pair fished the 1920s-era motor out of the lake.<br /><br />Since then they've tried to learn what kind of motor they found, who lost it, when and how.<br /><br />Kemper had most of the answers. The motor, as suspected, is a rare 1928 Super Elto Quad, a four-cylinder, 18-horsepower developed by Evinrude Outboard founder Ole Evinrude.<br /><br />Rich Boedigheimer pulled this motor out of Little Pine Lake.Star Tribune"My dad, Bernie, bought that motor," Kemper recalled last week. "Dad tried it out, and he didn't like it. It was a hard motor to handle. But my brother, Jim, loved it."<br /><br />The Kempers had a cabin on Little Pine Lake. Jim Kemper was in high school, probably in the early 1930s, when he took the boat and motor out for a fateful spin.<br /><br />"It was a high-speed motor, and he had a lot of fun with it," Bob Kemper said. "One day as he was driving it, and the motor jumped right off the boat. We dragged that area of the lake over and over again, but we never did find it.<br /><br />"Jim felt kind of bad about it, but my dad was kind of glad to get rid of it," Kemper said. His brother died two years ago. <br /><br />Boedigheimer tracked Kemper down after getting tipped off by a Perham resident who saw the story in the Star Tribune.<br /><br />"It was great to find out the story behind it," Boedigheimer said<br />

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the follow up about the old motor Kevin. And now we know the rest of the story.