1993 Mercruiser 3.0L Dying when increasing throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirickdg

Recruit
I have a 1993 Maxum with a 3.0L Mercruiser stern drive. It starts and idles just fine. However, when I increase the throttle, it sputters and kills at about 3,000 RPM. I have replaced the fuel filter. I just had the carb rebuilt a year ago. What else can I check? It ran great in late May. I haven't run it since then other than in my driveway with a hose attachment which is where I am running into the issue with what appears to be fuel starvation.

I last filled the tank in May when I took it out for Memorial Day. The tank was mostly gone and then sat until August 2nd when I started the boat up in my driveway with a hose adapter, so that would have been sitting for just over two months.

Later . . .
I replaced the fuel filter, but it does not have a water separating filter. The boat is a 1993 model that was well kept by the previous owner. I had the carb rebuilt last year, but I don't know how long it has been since the cap, rotor plugs and points were changed or when it last had a tune up.

Later . . .
So after replacing the fuel filter and running it for a while in the driveway, I decided to take it out on the lake and run it for a bit hoping to flush things out. In the driveway it was starting and idling great and running up to nearly 2,000 RPM without a problem. Well, I took it to the lake and the thing wouldn't even start. I could smell the gas fumes and eventually flooded it. One thing about the fuel filter. The filter I pulled out of the unit was a ceramic bowl type filter. The one they sold me at the boat shop which was listed for my engine was a simple paper-based filter.

Any ideas what to target next?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1993 Mercruiser 3.0L Dying when increasing throttle

Well, I took it to the lake and the thing wouldn't even start. I could smell the gas fumes and eventually flooded it. Any ideas what to target next?

Ayuh,.....

A Tune Up,....

mthieme

Captain

Accelerator pump in the carb.

Joe Jackson

Recruit

I had a situation like that once drove me nuts. What it was was a small crack/breakage in the carb gasket. At idle the stoimetric air fuel thing was 14 to 1. When hitting the throttle it caused extra air to enter thru the crack gasket disturbing the ratio enuff to prevent ignition. Look for a crack use good sealant.

virtual120

Cadet

Did you ever get this sorted as I have EXACTLY the same senario.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... The OP hasn't been back since this was posted,...

A Year Ago.....

If you have a problem,... Post your Own thread....

Don't be dredging up old dead posts from the past.....

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Try maybe bad gas this stuff we buy today does not last very long without stabilizer.
I had a outboard this summer with 2 month old gas would not start without starting fluid. Put fresh gas in the tank and fired right up first or second pull. I now use stabilizer in all my fuel for the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.