selectric to toggle conversion video.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
I converted my push button control to toggle control due to forward button starting to go out on me. I installed two toggle switches, one that is the main control and another that is a safety control for reverse. I thought it could be useful since my wife is a blond. I was very concerned about accidentally going into reverse, so I installed the extra switch. I think it's safer and easy to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtlYGy3Afs

suppose I should indicate that I in no way encourage anybody else in the use of this setup due the dangers. The video is for educational purposes only.;)

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: selectric to toggle conversion video.

I would like a video of you picking up a water skier.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

ok...sometime next week. You want a wakeboarder too?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Sure! As long as it don't rain on that Radio Shack switch.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

think you can move the wire, around, so that when the motor is in forward, the toggle should be all the way forward, then center be neutral, and back, is reverse, along with the safety switch. it would be less confusing for the blond, and me. agree order some water proof switches. nice job on figureing it out. if you take my advice, please remake the video for others that have this problem. it is the safest i have seen.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

the way the wires work with just the one switch is neutral-forward-reverse. I didn't like the idea of being able to bump that switch and going into reverse so that's why I have the extra switch. As long as the second switch is off, you don't have to worry about reverse. I better put the rubber boots on the switches before heading out huh:). This is the set up I am going to stay with because for me, I have rarely if at all used reverse. But its there if I need it.

I don't know if I can switch the wires around to make it work reverse-neutral-forward? I think my switch is an on-off-on switch. I would need an on-on-off switch not?

tashasdaddy

have to think on this one. something is burning.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the thought of using a push button normally open switch as the safety switch (black switch in video). That way you can just hold it in while backing away from the dock. excellent video, this will definitely help a lot of people who were considering a new motor just because of a bad switch.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

thanks. I don't know if they make a switch that is an on-on-off for reverse-neutral-forward? Either way, I would still set up reverse with the extra toggle to prevent accidental engagement. I do need to switch out that other toggle with a waterproof toggle and order the switch cover.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They do indeed make a off-on-on switch. It is for your boat's running lights where in is off, first click is stern light, and second click is both bow and stern lights. Like this http://www.iboats.com/3_Position_Pu...18277947--**********.055144425--view_id.39667

Applied to your motor, in would be forward, first click would be neutral, and second click would be reverse.

Hey, come to think of it, that sounds like a better idea!

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

and use the safety switch. now to figure out how to wire a neutral safety switch when starting. it could be an inline switch, on the neutral line, that closed when powered, to activate the starter circuit.

i'm not an electrian, can some one draw this up. i might go back and revive my 71 50.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That would work. However, motors before '72 didn't have start-in-neutral switches anyway. They had a safety switch on the motor that only allowed starting at slow throttle settings. But they would start in gear as long as the throttle was pulled back. None of that would be affected with the schemes we are talking about.

tashasdaddy

F_R can you draw it up, i would submit it for a FAQ. Give Credit to you, bigpoppakdog, and Joe Reeves, as a collaboration. it would work for 68--70, correct, what about earlier?

we're on a workable break thru. this is why i Love iboats.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't know the terminals ID on the switch. But it would be very simple.

Purple/green wire to what would normally be the battery terminal on the switch.

Green to the terminal that is energized in the first click position

Blue to the remaining terminal.

Should work on any Hydro-Electric without start-in-neutral. Adding a start button to the green circuit for start in neutral wouldn't work too well because it would also start in reverse.

Would NOT work on spring clutch motors!! In fact would damage them!!

tashasdaddy

i think i will pick up a switch, and do some testing with the meter.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

ID them and I'll draw it up on my Photoshop.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

as long as they make an on-on-off switch it would be easy. I'm going to go to the local napa store and try to switch out the toggle switch with that kind and keep the extra switch for reverse protection. Thanks for the info! Awesome resource. I will update the video once I get the new switch installed. Or maybe I will just make another one showing the difference between the two.

okay, searched and searched online and could not find a dpdt switch that was set up on on off. With that switch all a guy would need to do is wire the first terminal blue and green, middle terminals one green, last terminal two purples. If you wanted to keep extra switch like I did, then the blue would go to the other switch. I will try to call boat shops and see if they have that type of switch. Anybody find where a guy could get this switch please let me know thanks.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

I saw that one in FR's post. I don't think I would like this set up as well as the toggle switch. But, if you want reverse-neutral-forward I suppose this looks like the only option.