Lake Erie Doug

Lake Erie Doug

Recruit
I have a 1972 50hp Hydro-Electric drive. Model # 50ESL71S Serial #E3472800 It is stuck in forward. I run a hot wire from the battery to the green wire while it was running and it went into neutral right away.So it is not the pump in the lower unit. Could someone please tell me the next step? It is a push button on top of the shifter. I was looking thru the owners manuals on this site I couldn't find one for Model # 50ESL71S all I seen was ones for 50ESL71 and they were for a:rolleyes::cool: 1971

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lake Erie Doug

with that model # your motor is a 1971, 71-72 are identical anyway.

Hydro Electric Shift)
(J. Reeves)

The shifting setup of the lower unit is what's called a "Hydro Electric Shift", which is quite complex consisting of voltage being applied to solenoids in the lower unit which in turn change oil passages via a oil pump that supplies various pressure on a spring loaded shifter dog. The wires leading to the lower unit (at the powerhead) are "Green" and "Blue". The engine must be running or cranking over in order to shift out of forward gear.

You CAN NOT use HI VIS lube in that lower unit. You MUST USE what OMC calls "Premium Blend" lube, commonly called "Type C". (A thinner lube)

In neutral, you need 12v to the "Green" wire.
In reverse, you need 12v to both wires, the "Green" one and the "Blue" one.
In forward, there should be no voltage to either wire. (The spring loaded shifter dog forces the unit into forward gear)

To check the lower unit for proper shifting to make sure you have no trouble there, remove the spark plugs to avoid problems and to allow a higher cranking speed.

This next step eliminates the actual shift switch in case problems may exist there.... Disconnect the blue & green wires at the knife connectors (the rubber insulated boots) leading to the lower unit at the powerhead, then using jumpers, take voltage direct from the starter solenoid to apply voltage to the "Green" wire for neutral, then both wires 'Green" & "Blue" for reverse (Remember the engine must be cranking over in order to shift).
With no voltage applied, the unit should be in forward. No need for a ground jumper... the lower unit's already grounded. You may crank the engine with the key switch or by energizing the starter solenoid with a jumper wire.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What would happen if you were to use Hi-Vis, or Ultra-HPF in this gearcase? Read what OMC has to say about these lube's in a helical-gear, gearcase in their catalog. The hydraulic pump is totally submerged, it has to push the clutch dog to neatral, or reverse, It will do that with ease if the gearcase is in proper order. This is from the OMC parts catalog, "Lower viscosity of OMC Ultra HPF gearcase lubricant at cold temperatures will improve cold weather performance of all engines". Did they forget they made the hydro-electric? I used both these lubes as soon as they became available with never a problem. Using type-C in these gearcases has been repeated so many times, it belong's right up there with, "Don"t store your battery on a cement floor"

Lake Erie Doug

Recruit

Thanks Captain for your quick reply.
I have type C in my lower unit. I just drain it and put in new. The lower unit works great when I run a hot wire to the green and blue wires. Neutral and reverse work fine. I think my problem is somewhere else. What would be my next thing to test? Maybe in the shifter? I still would to find a service manual for this model.
Thanks again for the help:
:confused:Lake Erie Doug