88hp spl info (year and any other info)

strngcru99

Cadet
i just recieved a boat as a gift (84 proline 17 C.C.). its my 3rd boat and the person who owned it passed away recently. it has a 88spl on the back of it and i was told the previous owner had a problem with lack of power over 3/4 throttle. looking through other threads i found a common cause of this is the linkage between the carbs and lower unit... i keep reading that this motor needs a "link and sync". i was wondering if anyone knew the process of doing the link and sync and if any one could just give me any general info on the motor. i am pretty familar with johnson motors as both my other boats had johnsons. this 88spl looks exactly the same as my 1987 115vro just a little smaller. i am also a shop forman at a auto repair so my mechanical knowladge is there.
model#: e88mslete
serial# g03202063

any year info would be great too...

thanks in advanced

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88hp spl info (year and any other info)

1993 http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1993&ID=111577

as you said, it looks like you old 115. basically same block. it is the same motor and the 90hp without the OMS oil mix pump. please before you buy any parts do a compression check and spark check on all 4, spark should jump, 7/16 inch. compression, above 100 and with in 10 % of each other.

symptoms, either dirty high speed jets, could be link n sinc, or could be a coil heating or power pack heating up and failing. it has 1 power packs, so it could be killing 2 cylinders.

the link and sinc. has nothing to do with the lower unit. it is the synchronization, of the timing advance and the carborators. this is a set by set process, directions are in the OEM service manual, they are a little different for each model and year, so thats why we can't give you the proper info.

i do highly recommend OEM manual, the aftermarkets just don't cut it.

buy the way, i had an 88 88spl, super tough motor, extreme torque and performance.

strngcru99

Cadet

thank you...
i just have to remember to bring my compressin guage home to check it. all in all the motor apears to be well maintained but i do need to do a fine comb-over on it thanks again

strngcru99

Cadet

is it a 93 engine? i'm not sure how to read the serial numbers on the engine