Mid range Chugging

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I have had a constant bit of trouble with my 95' 28hp Johnson as of late, it starts and idles fine, and runs at WOT with no troubles, but between 2000 and 3000 rpm the motor chugs like a damn train, it will run fine for a couple seconds then chug like its either not getting fuel or getting to much air. The Carb has been gone through about 5 times, and the whole fuel system is new. The intake gaskets and the seal between the powerhead and stem has been replaced as well. Its currently at a dealer but even he isn't sure what exactly is going on. He thinks its the crank seal on the bottom side of the motor, I will be performing a leak down test on the powerhead once he removes it from the stem. Is there anything else that might cause a problem like this?

Thanks for any insight guys....

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Mid range Chugging

Leaky seals will NOT come and go, they will idle but NO top end power.

Between 2 and 3000 RPM is where the ignition module switches input voltages from the stator low speed windings to the high speed windings, it is NOT the stator, evidenced by the facts that it starts, idles, and will run WOT.

The poor transition is an electronic fault within the ignition module.

Ask your dealer if he is willing to test it with another module, or ask around to see if another member has a spare module and willing to let you try it BEFORE you buy it.

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Leaky seals will NOT come and go, they will idle but NO top end power.

Between 2 and 3000 RPM is where the ignition module switches input voltages from the stator low speed windings to the high speed windings, it is NOT the stator, evidenced by the facts that it starts, idles, and will run WOT.

The poor transition is an electronic fault within the ignition module.

Ask your dealer if he is willing to test it with another module, or ask around to see if another member has a spare module and willing to let you try it BEFORE you buy it.

This makes sense, I didn't think it was a seal problem, but I couldn't place what else it would be. I will also discuss this with the mechanic.

quackaddict1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to parts diagrams, the 95 28 dosen't have an ignition module? I have to be missing something here.