10 percent ethenal??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 10 percent ethenal??

Depends on how old it is. The real old stuff may have problems with fuel lines and carburetor floats. Anything of recent vintage should be fine. Let's face it, ethanol is here to stay.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have and older one, may as well change all the fuel lines, to the new alcohol resistant lines. you may have to clean the carbs a couple of times, as the alcohol, loosen crap in the systems.

Shizzy

Ensign

I have a new tank and lines and just did a carb rebuild on my 65 Johnson and I dont have any issues running it.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some manufacturers say yes and some say no, but what choice do you have? It looks like we are stuck with fuel that contains at least 10% ethanol. We will need to find ways to make it work, even in older outboards, which means cleaning tanks, replacing fuel lines, and changing filters frequently. My understanding is that using a fuel conditioner at all times helps to minimize the problems with ethanol.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In my part of the country we've had blended fuels around for more than a decade, what issues have we had, few. At first there were some plugged carbs, run a good filter and that's not an issue, after that it's been uneventful. If your fuel lines are old enough to not be compatible with ethanol, then they need to be replaced anyhow. There can be possible issues with long term storage, so use a stabilizer or just don't store it that long, I've never experienced one of the possible problems though and neither have my friends. I don't know of any motor made in the last 15 years or so that say's to not use a 10% blend, they've been designed to use them for a very long time.

ebry710

Ensign

In my California in the 80's there was a competitor to the major oil companies who sold a product called "GASAHOL". It was cheaper because it replaced petroleum components in gasoline. At that time, everyone became scared that the replacing of high percentages of petroleum with alcohol would burn valves, scorch cylinders and other horrible things.

Now that the major oil companies now do this routinely, magically the monster cars of the 60's can run without problem and the theories have been replaced with magical additives. Alcohol (or MTBE) in gas is now routine, but the literature that condemned it use cannot it be retracted.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

As said, unless it is a really old one.

MikeS100

Cadet

if you have and older one, may as well change all the fuel lines, to the new alcohol resistant lines. you may have to clean the carbs a couple of times, as the alcohol, loosen crap in the systems.

What about a 98 Ficht Fuel Injection?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Your Ficht is just fine on E10. Read the manual. E10 was around long before 1998.

ebry710

Ensign

My 1989 VRO2 is labeled with an OK for ethanol and the Johnson Service Manual says my 1989 120hp OK for up to 10% ethanol and up to 5% methanol. The 1987 120hp has the older VRO. My conclusion is that Johnson changed the VRO to VRO2 system during that period and their engines were upgraded with the tighter fittings and new materials needed to allow for the use of ethanol.

Again I have both Johnson Parts Manuals and the 1989 has VRO2 and the 1987 has VRO. I do not know about the 1988 or other Johnnyrudes built at that time.