old boat, new speedo

oldblumerc

Seaman
i have a 74 tahiti with a merc 140 i/o and i use it for all kinds of stuff like skiing and wake boarding and i want to add a speedo, but how would i mount it. more specifically am i going to have to drill a hole in the tramsom to run the tube and more importantly what is the best way to seal such a hole after i've made it and run the tube through<br /><br />p.s.<br />gps is out of my price rang and way too much for what i need(because i know thats what you are all going to suggest)

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: old boat, new speedo

blumerc,<br />Welcome to the board. A suggestion if I may presume... When you're looking for someone's help, you may not want to assume that you already know what their answer is going to be, and ask them to NOT give you the response you don't want to hear. Perhaps simply throuw the question out there, and let come what may. You can ALWAYS ignore the ones you don't want to listen to.<br /><br />We're mostly just folks with experience, we're happy to share, either because we like to, or because we feel we want or like to be able to give something back for the help we've received. Just a thought for you to consider.<br /><br />At any rate, there are a variety of types of speedo's on the market. My personal favorites are those that are options which can be added to base models of depthsounder/fishfinders. Prices typically start in the $175 range for the least expensive models with these available options.<br /><br />There are also simple "pitot-tube" units, which require the mounting of a speed on the instrument cluster, and a small plastic pick-up assy on the transom. They are connected by a pressure hose which is typically run upwards from the pick-up, on the outside of the hull to a location (typically WELL above the water line), where a small 1/4 or 5/16 inch hole is drilled for the tube to go through, and be attached with a small tubing protective bracket which is sealed with RTV. I don't have pricing info for these units off the top of my head, but SEVERAL boating outlets sell both of these style units.<br /><br />And lastly, you are correct there are all sorts of GPS units you can buy, some portables are even available that don't need to be mounted to anything... Just hand-held battery powered units that can be sued for baoting, hiking, biking, etc..., etc... (like walkie-talkies)...<br /><br />Good Luck, Obiwan

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: old boat, new speedo

Just to add a little: The pressure controlled instruments are not very accurate - especially not at low speed.<br /><br />Check ebay for GPS offers. You only need a basic model for your described use and may find one cheaper than any speedo :)